How to add another wireless router to my existing setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gothamm, Mar 7, 2010.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I have an airport extreme base station (wireless n draft). problem is, my room is all the way in the back and i get poor reception.

Can i just buy another standard $40 wireless G router and "extend" my wireless network? if so, how easy would this be to accomplish?

would it be as simple as hooking up the $40 router with my airport extreme using via ethernet cable so that it extends it?

update: I am looking at this router...would this accomplish my purpose?

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT16...-N-Router/dp/B001VMAYAM/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1

Anyone?

2. burnsmedia macrumors newbie

burnsmedia

Extend Wireless Network

Yes, that would work for you. You definitely want your extender router to be N, not G - otherwise you lose all that wonderful extra oomph from your Apple Extreme. You can use AirPort Utility to set it up. Once it detects your router, it will ask you what you want to do: create a new network or extend an existing one. Follow the steps and you should be fine.

3. gothamm thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks so much!

one more quesiton: eventhough my airport extreme supports n-draft, i have it set to the wireless g, since other laptops in my house dont have wireless n. If i buy that linksys router, can i use the linksys in wireless N mode, and keep airpot extreme is wireless G?

4. wad11656 macrumors member

wad11656

Sounds brilliant.

5. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

You should be able to leave it on N for either one and the Airport extreme should be backwards compatible so that the other laptops can connect. you shouldn't have to turn of N.