How to Add Coding to iWeb?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Tiffany Engler, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Tiffany Engler macrumors newbie

I want to track my website using Google Analytics. In order to do this I have to add a tracking code to my website? How do I add this code to my website so the public does not see it?

2. MCRunning macrumors 6502

3. DBeauchamp macrumors newbie

HELP! iWeb and search engines

Been in business 20 years, never needed a website until new clients started screaming for it. So, I built one with iWeb and it looks good. Problem: unless I give someone my URL they can find me on the web with the google etc. because iWeb doesn't do something (this is where I get hazy)? What do I need to do. The previous poster shows some of my similar frustration, I think.

4. Mitou macrumors regular

things you can start with are make a site map; I like rage sitemap automator to do it but google has a free tool to do it. Upload your sitemap then submit your site to google.
    The Rage site has a good tutorial on getting your site listed. Don't listen to those who will tell you that iweb sites cannot make the cut. They do all the time.

5. Mitou macrumors regular

things you can start with are make a site map; I like rage sitemap automator to do it but google has a free tool to do it. Upload your sitemap then submit your site to google.
    The Rage site has a good tutorial on getting your site listed. Don't listen to those who will tell you that iweb sites cannot make the cut. They do all the time.
    Oh another thing it might be a good idea to not use the javascript navbar provided by iweb and to create your own. If not at least provide a few (manual) links at the bottom of your page. And find some related sites to what you do and ask them about a link exchange.

6. Slovak macrumors regular

You add javascript code to each page on your web site to be tracked. It's the same for each page, and it includes a special ID that ties the code to Analytics account. Anyone looking at your web page would only see that you have some javascript running, the code itself is not secret.

Once you have some time to start collecting data, you log into your Analytics account. Only you, or other authorized users you give access to can see that information. Very useful information, btw.

Peter...

7. DBeauchamp macrumors newbie

Ok, so here's the problem. I want to believe. Believe, that is, in the power of iWeb to do what I need. I HATE the thought of having to work with one of those godaddy type programs (webbuilder) I've paid for it, in a panic, but am guaranteed I can get my money back. I tried it and HATE it. I LOVE the simplicity of iWEB and don't need to spend a lot of time working on web issues. I need to get back to the business I know. What I need are simple instructions to help me do what you and others recommend. How do I build a site map? How do I make manual links at the bottom of the page? How do I "submit" my page to google? Can you see the frustrations? Thanks for any and all help.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Google is a spider. You don't submit anything. They'll index your site as soon as you start getting visitors. The more visits you get, the higher you rank. More or less.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Google isn't, but GoogleBot is, and you can submit a sitemap file to Google to give some more instructions to GoogleBot. It's done with Google Webmaster Tools.