How to add contact form on iweb? Please HELP!!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by macOSXpg, Feb 5, 2009.

1. macOSXpg macrumors newbie

How to add a contact form on website from iweb?

I want this to appear on the contact us section of my website and i want it in the form (same order): Name, Company, Email, Contact Purpose, Subject and Description. Then that Submit button.

I have tried to do the above with sites such as (only free sevice): Wufoo.com, Formlogix.com, Createforms.com and Response-o-matic.com.

I added and tested the form when i published the website. The problem was that none of them actually sent the filled form to my domain email. But it sent it to the email address that i entered in the "Email" field.

Please help resolve this problem.
    thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Going to need some code in order to troubleshoot.

3. macOSXpg thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think coding is required as the sites i have mentioned already have preloaded contact forms with a ready-made HTML code. I just have to choose the right contact form and copy-paste the HTML code into the HTML snippet (from iweb).

After I published the site with the form, I tested it. The problem was that when i fill the form and click submit, this filled form actually gets sent to the email address i entered into the form. Unfortunately, I don't want this.

When customers arrive at my website i want them to write their Name, Company, Email, Contact Purpose, Subject and Description onto that form and click submit so that their message is directly sent to my domain email address which i assign at the start.
    It seems there isn't any the assigning setting when i start the process in the first paragraph...

Please help, thanks...

4. MacPharm macrumors newbie

Contact form for iWeb

You may already know this, but there is a potential interaction between iWeb and your domain registrar. There are some set-up or configurations at the domain registrar level that is unique for iWeb. I am not the expert, but I read it elsewhere. I decided not to pursue this and am experimenting with Wufoo.

I would be interested in learning what the advantages are about using your domain e-mail versus, say Wufoo. Since, I don't know HTML, I enjoy using the form builder at Wufoo. My concern is about whether wufoo is really secure with respect to privacy concerns for the medical field.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Slow down, that's not what angelwatt was saying. It was merely a request to see your relevant HTML code (or a link to your contact page) in order to troubleshoot your issue. If by now you've found an alternate solution, great, but if not, please oblige. Thank you.

-jim

6. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

This works for me...

1. Create a link-less page mimicing the background on your forms page; (will replace the embed iframe when form is submitted, from the top left of the link-less page- Solid color best)

2. Create form and copy published form address at bottom of Google Docs page in which created

3. Go to
    http://sneakysheep.com/google-docs-form-tool.php

4. Enter the address from 2 for URL to live form and enter full http:// from 1.

5. Hit submit

6. Hit 'Body only' under code & copy

7. Paste in HMTL snippet in iWeb

8. remove at very top of code
    <h1 >FORM NAME YOU'VE SUPPLIED TO GOOGLE</h1>
    to get rid of title

9. Decrease 'cols' if you want to contain pixel area iframe dominates (ie for near picture; when submitted 1 will fill entirety of this iframe.

10. Remove
    <span class="ss-powered-by">Powered by <a href="http://docs.google.com">Google Docs</a></span>
    <p></p>
    <small><a href="http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS">Terms of Service</a>
    -
    <a href="http://www.google.com/google-d-s/terms.html">Additional Terms</a></small></div>

at bottom to take out Google tags; add
    <br>
    <br>
    to give space for submit button

DONE!

All of your submitted info will be tablulated in a Googlespreadsheet ready for export; enjoy.

These are copy & pasted from my notes; let me know if this does it for you.

nf

7. alan123 macrumors newbie

Did you get it resolved?

Did you get your issue resolved? I'm about to attempt the same thing ie put a contact form on my godaddy hosted website built in iweb. I'm a newbie, so all help appreciated!

8. Momofthree macrumors member

you could try the bravenet email forms? you just copy/paste form into the html snippet.

I did that with my guestbook and it works fine....

9. alan123 macrumors newbie

Thanks I'll try it now.

10. Relaena macrumors newbie

i can't get any contact form to work, where once it worked perfectly.

My client's website featured a "Subscribe/Contact" form on its own page, the form was created with Response-o-matic, and it was working beautifully until today, when I added a text box onto the sidebar of the same page as the form. This text box was added in a totally separate area, there was no overlap, and nothing fancy.

Ever since, the contact form won't show up.

It's there in iWeb.
    I watch Fetch upload it to GoDaddy hosting.
    But de nada in Safari, Firefox, and IE.

So I used "bravenet" to create a new form, as per this thread.
    Also de nada.

For now, I've set up an email link for my client's newsletter subscriptions, and took down the entire 'subscribe/feedback' page.

Sidebar: I upgraded to the newest version of iWeb about a month ago, and had no problems until I made this one small change on the "subscribe" page (without touching the html widget, honest!). Is this a new iWeb bug that has yet to be discovered until someone like me tries to make a change to an html widget page?

Sigh........
    Relaena

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The file iWebMediaGrid.js seems to be missing, which is likely causing the issue. Make sure it has been uploaded. It's looking for it in the Scripts folder.

12. Relaena macrumors newbie

Thanks for noticing that Angelwatt... tho I'm sorry to report I'm still confused.

1.) This form's been working great without ever having to manually upload that file into the Scripts folder before... (?)

2.) However, since it wasn't there and you sound like you know way more about this stuff than I do (lol), I republished and uploaded it that file.

3.) Refreshed, cleared cache, reloaded page... still no form.

This is the page that should be working:
    http://www.hotwirecoffee.com/Subscribe.html

(I see the form on iweb... I watch its little widget upload in the fetch status bar... but... de nada).

Next idea?
    Thanks very kindly,
    Relaena

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well the issue before seems to be resolved, but there still are some JavaScript errors that are causing the form not to load. I'm going to describe what I'm seeing and it may not mean much to you, but it may help others viewing the thread help with the problem.

In the Error Console I see 2 errors when the page loads.
    1. onPageUnload is not defined [Subscribe.html line 1 (body tag attribute)]
    2. oIFrame is null [/Scripts/Widgets/HTMLRegion/Paste.js line 15]
    The onPageUnload is defined in the file Subscribe_files/Subscribe.js so is in fact "defined." As far as the oIFrame variable I believe is has trouble getting defined because of this piece of code,
    PHP:
    var oIFrame=this.getElementById("frame");
    which is on line 15 of Paste.js. There's no element in the HTML with an id attribute of "frame." So, that makes sense why you get the not defined error. The problem is iWeb creates the Paste.js file so it's doing something stupid.

The Paste object is responsible for putting the form in question onto the page, and since it's getting errors, that's why it never makes it onto the page. The actual form information is on the server in the correct place. I saw the form myself outside of the page.

The onPageUnload issue is likely tied to the oIFrame problem. My best advice at the moment is to remove the form widget part, publish and upload, see if it works OK with out errors (you can find the Error Console under the Tools menu in your browser). If everything looks OK and has no errors, try reapplying the form on the page as before. Hopefully iWeb will recreate the Paste.js file to something that works properly.

14. boardmac macrumors newbie

Hey Relaena

Can you tell me if you got this problem sorted? I had a look at the website and don't see a form anywhere so thinking you didn't but i'm on GoDaddy too and have some issues.

Thanks

15. El Guirrie macrumors newbie

Newbie to the site......

Hi guys, im new on here and desperate for some advice. Thanks in advance to you all! I'm trying to create a contacts page for my website that will allow the visitor to leave his/her name/emailaddress/number and possibly /best time to be contacted. Preferably, Id like this to go straight to an excel spreadsheet, but if someone knew how to send it straight to email, then I would not be unhappy about that in the slightest, thank you very much!

16. rowesteve macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm totally oblivious to this so Plz bear with me. I've inherited our website and am trying to create an online survey with 4 questions, name, email, submit and clear; and then have the results sent to our main email address. I used a page someone had created earlier and modified it, trying to enter current info. The page appears correct, except on some other machines the email field is missing and on others both name and email fields are missing. On our iMac it looks perfect and after I enter text into the fields, it takes me on a journey through setting up an email account on the iMac. I'm a webmail/PC person so all of this is blowing my mind. On one machine in the office I entered the info in the form and it told me I was sending an unencrypted email address, so I stopped it. On my Droid it looks correct except the email field isn't showing, but after I enter my name and click return, it gives me an unavailable webpage with a long string of code with percent sign 20's and all info that I typed into the form. All help out there in the create a form widgets force me to sign up and use their hosting. I have to use our website and email address. Help!!!!