Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Have googled and MRoogled, sans success.

I want to see unix file permissions and user / group owner in the Finder ,for work reasons.

How do I do this?

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
It can't be done with Finder. Possibly Path Finder could do it.

There's not even a little hack to do this?

Based on BSD, but they can´t be bothered to add the most fundemental parts of the UNIX file system architecture to the file browser?

Even Windows can do this (actually Windows goes insane with the amount of columns that can be added), but they're stuck with the stupid C and D drive concept.

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Man alive, when is someone going to make one computer that can do everything?

Given the totally file-fundemental basics of this (e.g. ls -al) I can't understand why Apple didn't have this since OS 10.0... seems like the most basic thing *ever* to be able to see file permissions.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Given the totally file-fundemental basics of this (e.g. ls -al) I can't understand why Apple didn't have this since OS 10.0... seems like the most basic thing *ever* to be able to see file permissions.

TTYTT, I think they might not want to make it that easy for users to mess around with those if they don't know what they're doing.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I'm actually a bit surprised they put permissions in the get info page at all. It's not uncommon to see people around here complaining that they can't access files after changing permissions "by accident".

If you want to deal with permissions, use ls -l.

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
I'm actually a bit surprised they put permissions in the get info page at all. It's not uncommon to see people around here complaining that they can't access files after changing permissions "by accident".

If you want to deal with permissions, use ls -l.

well ideally i'd like to see owner/group as well... looks like I'll need to check out PathFinder - but i'm rather unimpressed with my first forage into the OS X world (of course some things are good/better than Windows/Linux).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.