Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bagrov

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
I created new partition to install new OS X Yosemite. I didn’t like that raw buggy sht and deleted it by erasing partition in Disk Utility. Now I have ~20 GB of unused free space and I need them.

Somehow I can’t add new partition by Disk Utility. When I click on «+» and add new partition and then click «Apply» nothing happens.

Here’s a screenshot of my HD. As you can see I also don’t have resizing triangle there.
kvog.png

Is there a way to somehow create new partition without formatting the whole HD and then merge two partition in Disk Utility? Or somehow resize this main partition?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

When you install Yosemite on a second partition it creates a core storage volume and that needs to be deleted before you can reclaim the partition.

Try the Terminal steps in this post to kill the Yosemite partition.

Make sure you have a backup and be careful you don't erase the wrong partition.

If you get stuck, post up here again and I'll try and help sort it out.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don’t have it there. Here’s a screenshot:

Ah.... I see what's going on there. You have Filevault turned on and that will prevent you from resizing the partition. Turn off Filevault and wait for it to decrypt, then resize the partition. Then you can turn FV back on.

bagrov

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Did it. Now I have Macintosh HD, but it is greyed out.
Still cannot resize partition. And now if I want to add new partition, I get this:
pneh.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Did it. Now I have Macintosh HD, but it is greyed out.
Still cannot resize partition. And now if I want to add new partition, I get this:

Okay looks like we are getting there. You have two issues going on at the same time... the core storage issue I mentioned from the Yosemite install and the FV issue. Now that FV is off, take another shot at it with the commands I linked earlier to ID that Yosemite partition and kill it. Then you should be able to resize.

bagrov

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
OK, what ID should I write with that command? Will it erase my main partition? Or it will just kill some process? Because that 100.1 GB is the size of my main partition. Another free 18 GB are not listed here.
lie5.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OK, what ID should I write with that command? Will it erase my main partition? Or it will just kill some process? Because that 100.1 GB is the size of my main partition. Another free 18 GB are not listed here.

Looks like somehow your entire volume got converted to core storage. Run this command but put that UUID ending in ECBB in place of UUID in this command.

You are going to need to do this from Terminal in command-r recovery since this is the boot volume.

Code:
diskutil coreStorage revert UUID

bagrov

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Unable to find disk for UUID.

UPD: I don’t know how, but now I am allowed to resize the partition. I already made it and everything is OK. Thank you Weaselboy!

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Try again with that last volume ending in 5C9C. I am concerned thought because it says there it it not revertible.

The core storage volume that is normally there from Yosemite is not shown like it usually is. What did you do to get rid of it? I wonder if that broke the core storage groups somehow.

Let's try again with that last one and if that won't work, all I can think of it to backup to an external and reformat then restore. Do you have a external disk large enough to do a full Time Machine backup?

----------

UPD: I don’t know how, but now I am allowed to resize the partition. I already made it and everything is OK. Thank you Weaselboy!

Yay. Maybe doing it from recovery was the ticket.

Does diskutil cs list now show the core storage volume gone and back to a normal HFS volume.

bagrov

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Yup! No CoreStorage logical volume groups found. But I did nothing! I just tried to write this command, that is all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.