How to add old peripherals to new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by podunker, May 10, 2011.

1. podunker macrumors newbie

Just got my first Mac and it's a Mac Book Pro. I am new to Mac's and a computer novice on top of it. I cannot figure out how to set it up to run on my old Dell 19 inch monitor, my HP deskjet 5550 printer, or my canoscan n650u scanner. I know I need some other cables and stuff, but which ones. I bought a printer cable that has the big pronged end and a usb end on the other end to plug into my Macbook, but still not working. I'm sure there are some other issues I need to work out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You may need the proper drivers for the printer and scanner- check the vendor's website. For the monitor it depends on what ports it has, but if it's an older monitor you'll probably need a MiniDisplay Port-to-VGA adapter.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're going to be needing the correct type of adapter for that display.

The printer and scanner if run through USB, should run if you simply plug them in. If not, check canon's and hp's websites for OS X drivers for it. They are pretty straightforward to install, just download, and read and follow on screen instructions, if you know how to read properly, it can't go wrong.