How to add password to Single User Mode?

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I'm wondering if there is a way for the bootup single user mode (APPLE+S) to have a user name and password.. I think it's a security risk if it dosen't have one.. Though, I wouldn't want to disable it complety as it's very useful..

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
I think I already know the answer, but doesn't hurt to ask anyway right? I have enabled the OF password on my mac, but I would still like the ability to boot from SU mode on occasion. From the info I have found, the only way to do this is to change the firmware security settings and reboot. This is fine, but it seems like there should be a command you can type from within the firmware console to boot in SU mode. Mr. Google has let me down on this quest so far.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
Poeben said:
I think I already know the answer, but doesn't hurt to ask anyway right? I have enabled the OF password on my mac, but I would still like the ability to boot from SU mode on occasion. From the info I have found, the only way to do this is to change the firmware security settings and reboot. This is fine, but it seems like there should be a command you can type from within the firmware console to boot in SU mode. Mr. Google has let me down on this quest so far.

You can't...OF passwords disables cmd+s.

http://archive.macosxlabs.org/documentation/firmware_security/details/details.html

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
I am aware that the OF password prevents the key snags, but I would think that there should be some argument to 'mac-boot' or something within OF that would allow single-user mode after entering the OF password.