How To Add Printer (Connected to a router)?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kevhui, Jun 20, 2008.

1. kevhui macrumors regular

Hi,

My Epson 5900L printer is connected to a Asus router via the USB port of the router. The router has an IP address 192.168.1.1. I donwloaded the Epson driver for Mac from Epson.

When I tried adding the printer, I see the Epson TCP/IP option so I select it and entered 192.168.1.1 and clicked verify, but my iMac could not locate the printer.

Any hint?

PS. Yes my printer was on when I tried the above.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Does the router support printers? Basically does it have a built-in print server? Some routers have USB ports for hard drives only.

3. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Do you know how it's being shared? Epson TCP/IP is very unlikely to be the correct method for a consumer-grade printer attached to a router. This refers to large Epson printers that are directly network connectible and use their own protocol. Most likely your router is sharing it using Windows printer sharing...

5. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I was on a business trip so did not reply.

Regarding the sharing, under WinXP, the printer property page says it is standard TCP/IP port with LPRServer as the protocol.

I saw Asus website says Mac support LPR but not sure how to configure.

Advice will be highly appreciated.

6. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Are you sure that the 192.168.1.1 address from the router is the correct IP address? Sounds like to me that you put in the routers IP address instead of the actual address that the router assigned to the printer. You should be able to print out a configuration page from your printer that will show the current configuration of the printer to include the network settings, or another option is to login to the config portion of your router and look at the local IP address table of devices that the router is assigning IP addresses to. Once you find out which actual IP address your printer is using, then you should be able to input that number into your iMac and print via the network to your printer.