Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I was emailed a rental application in a pdf file that I need to fill out and email back.
I can't figure out how to add text to it.
I have Acrobat Professional on my mac.
When I open it I can read it but that seems to be all.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hypex

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Just open the pdf with Preview and press -> Annotate -> the little box with "Aa" in it on the bottom.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Are you opening the form in Preview or in Acrobat? If the form is meant to be filled out electronically I don't think that will work in Preview. Try opening it in Acrobat and see if the form works.

If the file was not created as a functional PDF form, there is no easy way to add text to it. Since you have Acrobat Pro, you can edit it and add text boxes to contain your info but that's really going to be a pain.

The simplest solution will be to print the form, fill it out, then scan it into a new PDF that you can email back.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
If the file was not created as a functional PDF form, there is no easy way to add text to it. Since you have Acrobat Pro, you can edit it and add text boxes to contain your info but that's really going to be a pain.

Even easier than that Tools>Typewriter>Typewriter. Then click where you want to put text and start typing. No need to bother with creating text boxes and placement unless you're really anal about the font used.

rkhoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
killerrobot,
what version of Preview are you using? My version 4.2 doesn't have the Typewriter option.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Thanks everyone, the typewriter option did the trick for me.
Now I just need to figure out how to add a signature.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
After finishing adding my text and adding some signatures, I want to save the pdf so that it can't be altered by the person I send it to, but I can't save it or export it in a way that doesn't let me alter the texts or the signature.
It reports that it is an encrypted file and it can't be flattened or converted to any other type of pdf.
I am a bit concerned about sending the pdf with the text and signature that I added still able to be altered when opened.
Can anyone please advice on how i might do this?
Thanks.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
That's why printing out the document, filling out by hand, scanning it and sending it in PDF might be the best solution. The signature complicates things. But if you send the document by email, you will have a copy of what you sent, so only the nastiest letting agents and rogues with the biggest disregard to the justice system would risk modifying your contract after you signed (sealed and delivered).

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
After finishing adding my text and adding some signatures, I want to save the pdf so that it can't be altered by the person I send it to, but I can't save it or export it in a way that doesn't let me alter the texts or the signature.
It reports that it is an encrypted file and it can't be flattened or converted to any other type of pdf.
I am a bit concerned about sending the pdf with the text and signature that I added still able to be altered when opened.
Can anyone please advice on how i might do this?
Thanks.

First you need to make an image of your signature - either sign something then take a pic of it or scan it or use photoshop or some other program to create it on the computer. Once that's done follow the steps in this file (if you have version 9.0):

file:///Library/Application%20Support/Adobe/Help/en_US/Acrobat%20Pro/9.0/help.html?content=WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7d43.w.html

You will start at Advanced>Sign & Certify>Sign with Visible Signature then follow all the prompts. Once you get that done, it will save it and you'll be able to sign any pdf you want without having to do all those steps all over again. Way worth it.

Hope you get the rental unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.