How to add web page link?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scouser75, Dec 9, 2011.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Guys, I've been wanting to ask the following question for some time, so here goes...

If I want to add a link directing someone to a web page I can simply Copy & Paste it into an email or web forum etc. BUT how do I add the link with the link only showing something as simple as "CLICK HERE" rather than the entire http//iwanttoknowhowto/do/this etc etc etc?

I've tried going into the Edit section of both Safari and Mail, but I don't have the Add option at all.

I have the most uptodate version of the OS.

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Depends on where you're putting the link. In these forums, the syntax is:
    Code:
    [ url="http://domain.tld/path/file.ext" ]Descriptive link text goes here[ /url ]
    Without the extra spaces, obviously.

Elsewhere, you generally do the same thing, except you use HTML tags, like so:
    Code:
    <a href="http://domain.tld/path/file.ext">Descriptive link text goes here</a>

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks mate for the help. So there's no quick and easy way to do it via Edit on Safari or Mail?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I do not know what this "Edit" functionality you speak of is.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

It depends on the forum. In many forums which allow linking, like this one, they provide that capability natively. In here for example, click on "quote" or "reply" and you get a text box to type in.

There are icons at the top of that box, including one of the world (well, a little blue green circle) with a chain link ("link", geddit?) superimposed.

Highlight the word or words you want to be linked, such as marshmallow, up pops a box to type your link into.

Hey presto, done.

For other forums, there may be something similar, or you may just type the html directly as in the example wrldwzrd89 gave above, or they may simply not allow links. It varies.

Or did you mean something else?

6. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Type what you want the link to read, ie, Here's a Link. Then highlight it and in the compose window toolbar click this icon [​IMG], in the window that pops up paste the actual page URL, click the OK button.

8. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi mate, thanks for your reply. Alas I can't seem to find that icon anywhere. Or am I going blind :confused:

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What's your posting interface set to, in your User CP? If yours is set to either the WYSIWYG mode or the enhanced editing mode, you'll see the button in question. If it's set to "just a plain text box" then you will not.

10. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh! So each Forum is different, I'm assuming?

I'll check this Forum. But I would have thought there would have been a way in Safari to automatically do it for ALL Forums.

11. simsaladimbamba

That is very unlikely, as there is different forum software out there, and every software works a bit different.

Doesn't your POST REPLY text entry page look like this?
    [​IMG]