How to adjust fonts?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by supremus, Jun 19, 2007.

1. supremus macrumors newbie

I am first time poster, so please be kind :)

I just switched from Windows to MAC 2 days ago - a brand new Macbook Pro. Needless to say I love the design of the machine. However I am having a slight problem with the fonts in OS X.

I have always loved Windows XP fonts, and to a lesser extent Vista fonts. But my first impressions of OS X fonts have been terrible - They feel blurry, and very very soft, and very unlike crisp and sharp nature of XP fonts.

My question is - is there a way of adjusting the fonts in OS X to make it look more like Windows? I almost feel blind looking at the fonts right now in OS X.

Thanks in advance,

Supremus

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Welcome to MR, welcome to OSX

NO, u can't

windows fonts are designed for more content and easy to read, while OSX's fonts are designed for the beauty.

I honestly think its a problem of tradition, when you get use to it, you will find its not bad at all.

Hopefully im not too harsh. :eek:

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

You kinda can't but play with System Preferences | Appearance | Font Smoothing style. You will need to log off then log back in to see the change.

4. supremus thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what a few people told me too that I have to get used to it. Well I'll give it another 13 days hehe to make sure of myself :). A friend mentioned that it has something to do with anti-aliasing of fonts and suggested a command line option for it. I was hoping to find a clearer and better answer to find a way if someone else knew about it.

Thanks a lot for your reply :)

Cheers

S

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Mac OS X fonts are rendered with an emphasis on type accuracy. In other words, they represent what the fonts would look like on printed paper. Windows fonts are banged into shaper shapes for supposed better readability on screen (but that is debatable). Once you get used to it, you'll eventually hate the Windows way.

6. AttilaB macrumors newbie

isn't there a hack around this? i just switched to a mac a few months ago and it's very hard to get used to this defect, especially when it comes to adobe where they use tabs that are 8-6px tall, there has to be a better way!

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I am sure you get this a lot, but your sig totally made me think I had a stuck pixel!

8. Unique Visuals macrumors regular

You can change system fonts and do some adjustments with the utility "TinkerTool"

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

Windows crams fonts to a pixel grid so they look sharper but with OSX font rendering the smaller the pixels, the better the text looks. There are also some differences between Firefox and Webkit based browsers (Safari, Chrome etc) for font rendering, Firefox is unfortunately slightly crappier.