How to adjust iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by killme, Dec 11, 2009.

1. killme macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, i have itunes 9.0.2 running in 10.6.2
    here's the deal
    in the itunes window at the bottom displays the amount of songs in days hours and size. (i have 2,385 song, 5.9 days 12.55Gb) and in the finder i go to the music/itunes/itunes music and hit Command i to get info and it says 29.58Gb that doubled what itunes say.

what i want is to get rid of all the other files that aren't in the itunes library, i want to get rid of the extra 17Gb

itunes say 12.55Gb
    itunes music info says 29.55Gb

how do i delete the extra files?:confused:

thanks everyone.:)

just in case u need the info
    :apple:alluminum macbook 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 250Gb hdd + 1T ehd

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Do you have any videos?

Did you in the past delete songs from your library and when iTunes asked, did you not send those items into the trash?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced
    Do you have "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" checked?
    Did you put your music in the iTunes folder, then import it into iTunes with that checked? If so, you have duplicate files for all your music.

4. killme thread starter macrumors newbie

vic answer

GGJstudios
    Did you put your music in the iTunes folder, then import it into iTunes with that checked?

answer: yes i did that previously, how do i delete all the duplicates.
    is the answer, show duplicates and highlite each one and delete it? is there a faster less time eating way to do it?
    thank you for your quick response
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sammich
    Did you in the past delete songs from your library and when iTunes asked,
    did you not send those items into the trash?

answer:when it asked me i clicked move to trash:(
    thank you for your quick response

so what to i do to delete all the duplicates? without doing it one by one? is it posible?
    THANKS

Attached Files:

5. 3rd Doctor macrumors member

You should note that the itunes will only take into account the files in the music section of your library as shown in your screenshot.

If you have television programs, podcasts etc. These are not included in the overall total. You will need to click on the podcast or television sections to see how much space each takes up.