How to allow start up from ext disk? [Resolved!]

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by strawbale, Dec 2, 2018.

1. strawbale macrumors 6502

I'm trying to allow my MM2018 to start up from an external disk (to test if the initial clone works).

Following this: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208198#open
    I get stuck at #3 (When you're asked to authenticate, click Enter macOS Password, then choose an administrator account and enter its password.)

After clicking 'Enter macOS Password' on the 'Authentication Needed' window, my name's already filled in the 'User' area, but it doesn't accept my Password? I'm the only user and 'Users & groups' show me as Administrator. What to do?

Any help much appreciated!

DSCN8692.JPG

DSCN8693.JPG

DSCN8694.JPG

2. jmiddel macrumors regular

3. strawbale thread starter macrumors 6502

As I understand that should be done after a T2-chip protected Mac, like my MM2018, has been set to allow starting up from an external disk in the first place - see the first link in my first post.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2018 ---
    Update: the suggestion to torn on and then turn off FileVault (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8486592) doesn't work either (for me).
    Like I said earlier, when you do what you suggest, on a T2 protected Mac you get

Screenshot 2018-12-02 at 19.27.20.png

And it's in that process (Command-R > macOS recovery > Startup Security Utility that my Admin password is not accepted.
    Just to add: my Admin password is the original password I chose when setting up the Mac mini and has not been changed.

4. dh8941 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem trying to get into startup security utility in my imacpro. Won't accept my Admin password. It seems like this is happening to others with the T2 chip. I found this but have not tried it yet.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8496643

5. strawbale, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

strawbale thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. Sounds pretty drastic, but could give it a try although it does not mention Mojave...

6. strawbale thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: I found the 'solution' - my (French) keyboard was apparently not recognised in the Command -R recovery procedure, so retyping my admin password as if on a US/UK keyboard worked - phew!

7. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

When a problem is happily solved, it is aways a good idea to add "RESOLVED" at the beginning of the title of your thread.
    Cordiales salutations.
    Ed

8. strawbale, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

strawbale thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed, but how/where?

Edit: found it! ;)