How to always show menu bar in full screen?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by WhiteShadow, Aug 31, 2011.

1. WhiteShadow macrumors regular

I would like to always display the menu bar in full screen mode in lion.

Anyone have any thoughts on this a terminal code perhaps?

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

...Uh that's the point of full-screen...
    You could just maximize a windows (not full screen, just drag a corner so the window fills the screen) and turn dock hiding on.

3. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I'd like this too! Well it's mainly Safari. I'd like to see my bookmark bar and menu bar icons at all times while in Safari.

4. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Command-shift-B ;)

5. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

! Thank you!!!

6. swedefish macrumors 6502

I just wish there was an option to always show the time in full screen. I could care less about the other items in the menu bar, but the absence of a clock is a significant reason why I don't make much use of fill screen.

7. SoFreshSoClean macrumors newbie

SoFreshSoClean

No fancy dot file editing required. Just press shift & alt/option and click on the green maximize button.

Maximizes the window without autohiding the menu bar (which I always thought was incredibly annoying).

8. malik122 macrumors newbie

Maximizing and full screen are two different things...

9. SoFreshSoClean macrumors newbie

SoFreshSoClean

Window at full-screen with a menu bar is obviously maximized. OP doesn't want a chromeless window.

10. endsinstatic macrumors newbie

I would also like this feature to be native. The reasons are obvious I think, in case they are not....

1) I agree that full screen and maximized are different.
    2) Switching between full screen apps is just nicer (so, so, so much nicer) than switching between maximized apps.

Keep these two things in mind if you are still wondering why someone would want this feature.

3) The autohide menubar is incredibly annoying if you often click buttons near the top of the app and it keeps popping its ugly head. Then you have to wait a few seconds for it to disappear before you can continue.

I only make this statement because I've read dozens of posts and they all contain someone saying "just maximize it"... "isn't that just maximized"... Gears ground. Anyway still haven't found a solution to this. Anyone had some luck?

11. endsinstatic macrumors newbie

Best way so far I found as a reasonable work-around is putting each app I want to easily switch between into maximized on a separate desktop. Anyway it isn't perfect but you can try to see if it fits into your workstyle; you can still easily use gestures to switch between the apps this way.

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed.