How to append file names with folder path?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lvanhoff, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Lvanhoff macrumors newbie

Hi
    I'm looking for a way to rename a batch of 30,000 photos. I have renamer but I don't think it does what I need it to do. I want to append the file name with the folder path. The photos are organized in folders which give info I want to make part of the filename itself (country, city etc.)

I am sure there is a way but...don't know how. Any help would be appreciated! Freeware or native apple way preferred over having to buy a new program.

Thanks
    Laura

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

The best way to handle this would be to move the information inside the file as meta data. Using the file name to hold information never works well but, if you really are set on this you can do it with a very simple shell scrip.

The "dirname" command will give you the pathname with the file stripped. "sed" can replace the slashes with under bars and then "mv" renames the file. Spend some time reading the man pages

With 30,000 images you really need to be using some kind of image catalogging software. iPhoto would work as would Aperture and there are others. None of these depend on file naming conventions.

3. Lvanhoff thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have Lightroom which is my preferred program. I also have Aperture but I'd like to do it in Lightroom.

So far, I haven't found a way to move the folder path names to the metadata. That would be just fine to do it that way, I dont really need it in the image name.

Know any way to move the folder path words to metadata? :)