Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quocy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
basically ever since i brought my Macbook Pro in 2006 i have come across several problems, i have had the battery replaced 3 times and the topcase twice due to keyboard and trackpad problems.

after receiving my Macbook Pro from repairs today (after a rubbish replacement of the topcase) i took it out from the shipping box, and cut myself from a screw that was not screwed in properly (the screws that sit on the side of the Macbook Pro)

basically i have gone through alot of problems with my Macbook Pro ever since i purchased it, and to run my mac back and forth for it to get repaired and repaired again is starting to make me annoyed and angry. even after the repair i end up getting injured from another rubbish repair.

i am just asking for any advice or recommendation to how i shall approach apple for a replacement unit, because i am now really sick and tired of getting my Macbook Pro repaired over and over again, yet a few months later it will need to be repaired again. with only a couple of months left before my applecare runs out, i want to ensure that my £1900 macbook pro will last for a good 5 years or so considering the price tag.

thanks in advance everybody.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time with your MBP. I haven't had any trouble with mine since I got it.

I would suggest that you be polite, respectful and firm in asking Apple to fix the problem. If all that is wrong with this repair is a screw sticking out, I would take it into an Apple store and ask them to screw it in. If you are not near one, you should try and do it yourself.

jojo13

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time with your MBP. I haven't had any trouble with mine since I got it.

I would suggest that you be polite, respectful and firm in asking Apple to fix the problem. If all that is wrong with this repair is a screw sticking out, I would take it into an Apple store and ask them to screw it in. If you are not near one, you should try and do it yourself.

same, be nice and EXPLAIN and hope :)

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
As others have said, be friendly and assertive. Do not call if you are in a bad mood. Let them know your frustration and make sure you tell them what has been done to your machine. If they will not help, ask politely to speak to a higher level support person. I spent a week in and out of an Apple store with iMac problems, and eventually got a replacement which has been about 95% good to me. (A few small problems, but nothing nearly as bad as the original that wouldn't stay on for more than 30 minutes)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Really sorry to hear about your problems.

There are numerous sites on the web that will explain how to write an efficient complaint letter. I won't go into those details here. This is how I would approach the matter.

I am assuming you are in the UK, since you referred to the price in pounds. If you aren't just make the appropriate geographic substitutions.

Find out the name of the UK Apple manager. Some web sleuthing should bring drag this out as they will some media events connected to their name. Make a list of all the times you have been to the Apple store. Print paper copies of all the correspondence you have had with Apple (emails, etc.) If you can, make a list of the dates you called Apple.

Then, go to Apple store and ask for the computer record they have of the repairs done so far, printed out. Go to the Apple store for this. You might have to talk to the manager, but that is OK. Next step is to talk to the manager to explain that you are writing a letter of complaint to (insert the name of the UK manager here).

Show the manager your lists, and the repair record. Show them the MBP with the screw. Show them your scar ;) from the screw.

At all costs, keep your temper. Laugh a little. Tell them that you understand every once in awhile a bad one gets out of the factory. Now ask the manager to make you happy.

At a minimum you should ask for replacement of the same model. Ask them to transfer the contents of the HD. I don't think you should ask for one of the new unibody units since that will make it sound like you are trying to "upgrade". Plus, as a Rev A you will find more problems.

If they don't do the right thing by you, you have a couple of options.
1) Try different Apple store if that is convenient.
2) Write that letter of complaint, complete with documentation, and detailing your recent visit to the Apple store. Get someone who is a good writer to help. Send the letter (a proper paper verision in an envelope) to the UK manager, but also cc (send copies marked as copies) to the store manager, and to Apple HQ in the US, plus the Better Business Bureau (or whatever its called in the UK). The thing about adding a cc IIRC correctly is that the UK manager will see the cc list on their copy. Hopefully that will get you some satisfaction.

I have never had to get a replacement unit from Apple, but I have worked in the hotel business, and I have had to deal with other large corporations that had less than stellar service. Once you find a good google source for complaint letter ideas, you will also find lots of advice on strategies for getting complaints resolved.

Good Luck, and keep us posted..... you deserve a new system.

Quocy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
thank you to everyone for your advice.
i will start off by calling applecare tomorrow and see how it goes from there!
will keep you posted :)

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
I literally *JUST* had my 2006 Macbook replaced through apple because of a string of defects (see here).
I called Apple care, and spoke to a representative. I was very polite to her, making sure to never say it was apple's "fault", and that i was about to "jump to hp if i didn't get a replacement", but made it clear that i need my computer for school and can't constantly have it in for repairs.
She took all the information down, and passed me on to a head technician (she wasn't qualified to give replacements out). He reaffermed my issues with me, then said that i could have it replaced.
He also started a process to return my remaining Apple care (I got $61 back), so make sure to ask for that if it isn't offered.

Mainly, just be calm and cool. Remember that Apple care is only supposed to replace defective parts, so they don't *have* to replace it. Let them know that you do love the computer, but you've been unable to use this one to the fullest because of the issues with it. Most importantly, go in super polite.

Quocy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
i just got off the phone with applecare and they offered to repair my macbook pro again! i talked about if a replacement system was possible but they said that with the past repairs i.e. battery and topcase, it is not serious enough to get the system replaced.

fair enough!

but i won't be sending my macbook pro in for repairs just yet, as i got loads of coursework to do. However they did offer to repair my macbook pro even if i handed my macbook pro to them after my applecare expires which is a plus :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.