how to archive and install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mdwsta4, Nov 9, 2007.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i don't want to do a fresh install as i'd have to transfer everything to my external hard drive and lose passwords and all. i was told about doing an archive/install which sounds like the best route to take. however, the instruction guide here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

doesn't seem to be working on my MBP. there are no options. just install. i received an upgrade disc from apple, not a retail box. does that make the difference?
    either way, would like to do this the best way possible.

thanks!

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

There's a small button on the bottom left of the dialogue box that says "options" that you need to click. When that opens you will see an "upgrade", "archive and install", "clean install" options. Select the Archive one and then continue on with the install.

3. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

this is what i see when inserting the cd
    [​IMG]

don't see any options on the lefthand side. there is an option installs, but when i click it and try to open it's contents i receive an error.

4. luffx macrumors regular

Boot from the CD.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Once you've restarted from the install DVD, probably 3-4 menus into it there will be a box at the bottom left called "options". Within there, there should be several install options such as "erase and install", "archive and install' and "upgrade".

6. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

okay. so i click 'install' then it will restart my computer, then i can find the options? i was afraid once i clicked install there would be no going back!

7. luffx macrumors regular

correct. :)

8. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

Got it. thanks! running leopard now! so far so good.

9. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

okay, now wait, it's showing in only have 17gb left of hard drive space!!! before i had 32!
    how do i get it back?

10. luffx macrumors regular

Since you did an archive & Install. All of your system/app files are still on your HD in their own system folder. Once you port over your Apps and anything you want to keep from your archive, delete it.

11. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

so it's safe to delete 'system folder from old mac' and all it's contents without affecting anything, correct?

sorry if these are noob questions. been using macs for about 3 years, but am hardly a power user and never done this before.

12. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

13. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

did you read the instruction booklet? i would guess not because i see nothing about my question in there. thanks for the tip tho :rolleyes: