How to associate file types with applications

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chris204, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Chris204 macrumors regular

I have a lot of internet shortcuts ending in .URL that I want to open with Firefox. Currently they all open with Safari. I've right clicked on them to open with Firefox from now on, but whenever I create new shortcuts, the default browser is still Safari. I've made sure that Firefox is my default browser while surfing, but how can I make sure that these shortcuts open up with Firefox from now on?

I've also noticed that if I drag a shortcut on to my desktop that's associated with Safari, it will display the [title] tag as read on the site. If I drag the same shortcut that's associated with Firefox, the title tag isn't read, and only displays the URL (http etc...) as its name.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

highlight a file, right click -> get info (or CMD I)

then change 'open with' from Safari to Firefox, and click 'change all'

3. Chris204 thread starter macrumors regular

That didn't exactly work well. lol
    It changed the default program to open them, but now whenever I click on a shortcut, ALL of the shortcuts open up. 52 Firefox windows popped up, instead of just one. The thumbnail image also changed to a little black window with an "exe" in it.

4. Chris204 thread starter macrumors regular

Here are pics of what I mean. The thumbnail has now changed from a "exe" to the @ symbol, but they still show the address of the site as the title, not the actual page title like they should.

You'll also see that the shortcuts are set to open with Finder, even though they all open with Firefox (which at least I got working). I've tried changing the program to Firefox (and made sure it's my default browser), but they just revert back to showing that "Finder" is the default. Is there anything I can do about having them display the title tag, instead of the address to the site?

Attached Files:

5. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Hm... I don't know. I've jsut highlighted the current URL, dropped it onto my desktop to get a link, and clicked it and it opened fine in Firefox. I'm guessing it's a problem your end :(

The file is set to open with Finder, so I guess that's how it's meant to be. Just make sure Firefox knows how to handle the file type is all I can say!

Hopefully someone else might be able to help...

6. Chris204 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I get the same thing as you... it opens up in Firefox now, but the shortcut is still showing the URL of the site, not the actual title of this thread etc.

7. Chris204 thread starter macrumors regular