How to auto-archive audio files for iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Europe calling, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Europe calling macrumors regular

Europe calling

Hi,

My dad makes a mess of organizing his audio (mp3) files (he's aged 71, so he's excused :D ).
    He wants to play them with iTunes but the files are scattered all over his Mac. I would like to help him set up an automated process of some kind, so that all his .mp3 files automatically end up in the iTunes music folder, so he can play them, and never has to worry again where his mp3 files are, or manually has to add them to iTunes
    I know it must be possible somehow.

Anyone?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

In iTunes preferences, Advanced, General check these two boxes:

"Keep iTunes Music folder organized"
    "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In iTunes Preferences - advanced - general - "Copy to files to itunes music library when adding to library" and "Keep iTunes Music folder organised"

To get the songs that are currently in iTunes that are all over the place in iTunes - Advanced - Consolidate Library.

4. Europe calling thread starter macrumors regular

Europe calling

Not the final solution yet

Thank you for your reply, but it is the 'when adding to library' part where everything fails. :( My dad does'nt seem to get how he must manually add files to iTunes.
    So i thought it would be best if i could somehow that done for him automatically, as soon as an mp3 file appears on his mac, be it by cd, via email, whatever, that it automatically ends up in the iTunes Music folder.
    Is this possible with automator? Smart folders? Any solution is welcome.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I don't think that's possible. There might be an automator action that could do this, but it would still require launching it for it to work. I've never heard of a way for the OS to do it automatically like that.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

For the CD

iTunes - Preferences - Advanced - Importing - On CD Insert - Choose Import CD.

For everywhere else the tip would be have iTunes be the associated program. That way when he wants to play them iTunes opens and with the two previous options it should automatically add it to the library and move it to the correct location. To check the program association find a file and press cmd+I when it is selected. Then where it says "Open With" select iTunes and then "Change all" Check/change this for all common file types that he is likely to receive and hopefully everything working as it should that should be the solution.