How to automate renaming of files after importing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reubs, Jan 2, 2010.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

We got a Flip video camera for Christmas, and I'm trying to find a way to easily import the videos into a specific folder on my MBP.

I'm sure there's an automator action or folder action to do this, but I don't even know where to begin for that.

What I want to do is be able to drop the files from the Flip into a specific folder, but I want those files to be automatically renamed into a sequential order once they are dropped in. As it stands, the files are named VID00001, VID00002, etc., and when those are dragged and dropped into a folder on the HDD, the retain that numbering. They are erased from the camera, and the renaming starts all over again.

What I want to do is to be able to drop those new files from the camera into the same folder, and have the numbering pick up at 00003, 00004, etc.

Thanks for any info or help folks can share on this.

2. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Hi, look at this thread over at the HandBrake forums, it's for automating DVD/BD rips, but there's a section for changing the episodes and movies name, that could help you. Good luck!

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Hey, thanks. I'll give it a look and see what I can find there.