How to Avoid Best Buy Restocking Fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Has anyone returned their phone to Best Buy and avoided the restocking fee a buddy is looking todo this but I wasn't sure bc he sensor issue, blurs on his photos with blue boxes and antenna issue even with a 3/4 case it still drops calls.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

You can find the return policy on the back of the reciept. I beleve that cell phones do not have a restocking fee.

3. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I bought mine at BB, iPhones receive a 10% restocking fee. Says on the back of the receipt. No, I don't know of a way to avoid it. That is, if you're outright returning it. You could explain that it doesn't work properly for specific reasons. Worth a shot.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If the phone is not working he can exchange it, for a full refund he pays 10%.

5. Manie Frizzle macrumors member

But didn't apple say you can return it for a full refund? Doesn't make sense that apple is not charging a fee but other retailers are.

6. bholaladka macrumors regular

why not just return it at an apple store or obtain a RMA number from apple customer service? :D

7. witmvpness6 macrumors member

I did this at Circuit City back in the day when they wanted to charge me a restocking fee. Exchange it for a brand new one, come back the next day with the brand new one (unopened) and return it using the first receipt. Idk if this still works but it's worth a shot.

8. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

Didn't you know that BB is king and can make up their own prices and rules. ;)LOL
    I hate BB

BTW if you are one of their silver reward card customers then there is no restocking fee.

9. Manie Frizzle macrumors member

Is that possible? I was on the phone with an AT&T rep and the person said apple will not accept a return, I would need to go into an AT&T corporate store for a refund minus 10%.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

If it is defective you can exchange it for a new one with out paying the restocking fee. If you just want to return it then you will pay the restocking fee. There really is not a way around this.

Each retail has their own policy for fees on returns. What one retailer does or does not do does not mean that other retails will do the same thing. All because it is an iPhone does not give it any different privileges then returning a toaster.

11. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

You are correct. It has to be returned to the point of purchase for a refund.

12. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

If you want a full refund you have to take it to where you bought it. If you want an exchange you can take it to Apple. (you can also exchange where you bought it)

13. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Thanks I forgot about this, in the past I have returned stuff without a restocking fee, so hopefully this still applies, maybe he can use my card, we will see.