how to avoid kernal panics & app conflicts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have not had this yet, have had my laptop since june 2010, but I read that someone was starting to have problems around this time, & that having too many 3rd party apps can cause this. I have parallels, & software for my Microsoft intellimouse.

I dont want to jinx anything, aside from some odd things happening with parallels, is there any precautions I can take to avoid things like the panics people talk about?

I asked this in another thread with 125 views so far & no one seems to be able to help, everything seems ok, but I would like to know what happened. Here is a link; http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1091221

2. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I wonder if I were one of those people who you noticed having Kernel Panic issues haha. I got my MBP in May of 2010 and I've been having kernel panic issues for the past 4-5 months. Gladly, the issue has now been resolved. The issue in my case was a faulty logic board. I have however made a few upgrades to my Mac though. 8GB of RAM installed and and faster hard drive. When I went to Apple the first time about the KP's they wanted to blame it on the things I installed. So I had to put stock parts back in and do a clean install. Then when I kept having issues they realized the problem must of been the logic board.

The main point is that kernel panics are kind of rare in the total scoop of things. It may seem like a large issue within the Mac community since this is a forum and this is the place to complain about stuff like that. As for apps, I'd say to make sure to keep all your applications legit. Having torrented software can cause KP's but the main reason is due to faulty ram or other hardware.

To really protect yourself from this just make sure to purchase Apple Care. It will cover the cost to get your machine repaired for something like that. Normally a new logic board can cost around 500 or more. Hope that helped!