How to avoid "Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64"?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by mikezang, Jul 25, 2015.

1. mikezang macrumors 6502a

I tried to create a cross compile for my old Lego RCX, I use GCC 3.3.6 and NEWLIB 1.13.
    Code:
    1. Download GCC 3.3.6 and Unzip
      cd ../..
      wget http://gcc.parentingamerica.com/releases/gcc-3.3.6/gcc-3.3.6.tar.gz
      tar xzvf gcc-3.3.6/gcc-3.3.6.tar.gz

2. Download NEWLIB 1.13 and unzip
      wget ftp://sourceware.org/pub/newlib/newlib-1.13.0.tar.gz
      tar xzvf newlib-1.13.0.tar.gz

3. Link NEWLIB to GCC
       cd gcc-3.3.6/
       ln -s ../newlib-1.13.0/newlib .

4. Make h8300-hms build folder
       cd ..
       mkdir build_gcc_h8300-hms

5. Config
       ../gcc-3.3.6/configure --prefix=/usr/local/h8300-hms --program-prefix=h8300-hms- --target=h8300-hms --enable-languages=c,c++ --with-newlib

6. Make 
       make CFLAGS="-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer" all

When I make it, at last I got error as below, what can I do?
    Code:
    gcc -c   -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_COMPILE  -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes    -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -Icp -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gcc -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gcc/cp -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gcc/config -I../../gcc-3.3.6/gcc/../include ../../gcc-3.3.6/gcc/cp/cp-lang.c -o cp/cp-lang.o

gcc   -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_COMPILE  -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -pedantic -Wno-long-long   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o cc1plus \

cp/call.o cp/decl.o cp/expr.o cp/pt.o cp/typeck2.o cp/class.o cp/decl2.o cp/error.o cp/lex.o cp/parse.o cp/ptree.o cp/rtti.o cp/spew.o cp/typeck.o cp/cvt.o cp/except.o cp/friend.o cp/init.o cp/method.o cp/search.o cp/semantics.o cp/tree.o cp/repo.o cp/dump.o cp/optimize.o cp/mangle.o cp/cp-lang.o attribs.o c-common.o c-format.o c-pragma.o c-semantics.o c-lex.o c-dump.o  c-pretty-print.o c-opts.o main.o libbackend.a libcpp.a ./intl/libintl.a  -liconv  ../libiberty/libiberty.a

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:

"_libc_name_p", referenced from:

_nothrow_libfn_p in except.o

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

make[1]: *** [cc1plus] Error 1

make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

2. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

What is happening is that OS X's linker can't find the specified function in anything it is trying to link. The reason for this could be a missing preprocessor macro, or the compiled code and/or library isn't being linked.

3. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your message! can you tell me how to solve this problem?

4. cqexbesd macrumors regular

I'm only guessing here but I think you may need to have gperf installed. Then start building from scratch - i.e. make distclean or similar - or just delete your directory and expand the tar file again.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Looks like you are using the wrong GCC.

Either type full path to GCC 3.3.6 or add it to the path with a different name than GCC (because Apple already provides a GCC command which happens to actually run clang). This is why you have the following error:

You are actually running Clang which compiles to x86_64. You need to run the GCC that you compiled. Normally when compiling GCC as a cross compiler you give it a different name than GCC (which is one of the configure script options for GCC when compiling it) so that you can tell the difference between the GCC provided by the system and your own GCC cross compiler.

6. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a