Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinktip

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I recently bought a WD Mybook Live 2 TB Wireless Network Drive to use for data storage, movies, music etc. Everyone in the house is using the drive for storage or to grab media. It looked like a good answer to the media sharing question so I bought it.

In the house, we have me (2009 Intel MB OSX10.6), my wife (2011 Intel MBP OSX10.6), my son (2008 MB OSX10.7), my daughter (PC Win 7 32bit), and a guest computer/desktop PC (win 7 64bit). The Macs do Time Machine backups to individual 1TB drives. We also do folder backups to the Mybook drive.

Recently the desktop PC died and I had it repaired resulting in a complete reformat etc. Luckily, I had the data backed up on a 1TB portable drive. Unluckily the drive failed while the PC was in the shop and now I can't read it from ANY of the computers in the house. This drive was a quality brand and only about 3 months out of warranty, had never been abused in any way, just sat on my desk it's entire life. Even worse, the PC and the drive that failed had the only copies of kids photos from the time they were born until now (11 years). I thought I was safe but I found out the hard way that no matter how good or new the storage device, double redundancy is obviously needed.

Now I am planning on running a backup of the 2TB Mybook Live. I currently have at least 500GB of movies and songs that I do not want to lose.

Any ideas on how to Backup the Mybook Live? Buy another one and set a sync?
I'm totally at a loss as to how to set this up; I have very limited networking experience.

Grant

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Any ideas on how to Backup the Mybook Live? Buy another one and set a sync?
I'm totally at a loss as to how to set this up; I have very limited networking experience.

Grant

I am not aware of way to backup the MyBook Live disk to another networked drive without having a computer in the mix doing the lifting. I would use Carbon Copy Cloner running on one of the Macs to copy files from one networked drive (MyBook) to another. CCC has a scheduler option so you could automate this once you set it up.

The CCC support section explains how to backup networked drives.

sinktip

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Thanks, I will check it out. I am currently using Chronosync to backup my files on my 1TB drives. I always assumed you could only backup or sync directories from the computer to a drive. I wonder if it's possible to do this from a network drive to network drive?
Thanks for the help.
Grant

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks, I will check it out. I am currently using Chronosync to backup my files on my 1TB drives. I always assumed you could only backup or sync directories from the computer to a drive. I wonder if it's possible to do this from a network drive to network drive?
Thanks for the help.
Grant

Just mount both drives in OS X and it should work. Just from a quick glance at the Chronosync page, it looks very similar to Carbon Copy Cloner and I bet you can set it up to do what you want.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Thanks for the help.
Grant

I use Chronosync. And yes, you can perform backups from one network share to another. Pretty much if the host computer can see it over the network (and with the necessary permissions) then Chronsync can access it for backup operations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.