How to Back up ALL my macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NetSlave, Jan 7, 2009.

1. NetSlave macrumors newbie

NetSlave

well im about to replace my macbook for damage
    but i wanna have everything in my hard drive just i like i have now

how can i do it to backing up everything such documents applications songs...all

well thanks for reading :)

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

The decision is to backup or mirror. Mirroring would clone your hard drive onto another. For that you can use a program like super duper or others and use an external usb or firewire drive to clone to.

For backup you can manually drag and drop your data to an external drive.

You can also use time machine to backup your info.

3. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Look for a program called Carbon Copy Cloner, its free and makes an exact replica of your hard drive. So if you are upgrading drives, you make a copy and then swap them and you are good to go. Also, have you tried Time Machine?

4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

SuperDuper is an excellent program for cloning your MacBook. IMO, it's better than Carbon Copy Cloner except for the fact that SuperDuper isn't free.

5. NetSlave thread starter macrumors newbie

NetSlave

wooa thanks for the fast response !!
    well i was thinking in time machine
    but i was planing in back up or clone an image as you sayd
    but in my desktop hard drive (PC)
    do you guys know if i have to reformart mi PC HD or have problems for the
    PC partision

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

SuperDuper is free for manual cloning. By paying you get scheduling and incremental backups. The free version will overwrite what's on the clone while the paid version changes just what's changed on the source.

People who know about this kind of thing have compared different cloning options (don't have a link handy, sorry) and SuperDuper is better for getting an exact clone. Still either CCC or SD would work great ... I've used both but paid for SD so use it.

Edit: hold on, what exactly do you mean? You're going to try to clone your MB onto a drive in a PC? If that's what you mean, no it won't work. Both CCC and SD will erase the destination disk.

Edit 2: actually, just remembered, if you set up a share on your PC you should be able to clone your MacBook as a disk image in SD.

Still it's better just to buy an external drive ... they're pretty cheap these days, and it's always a good idea to have an up-to-date clone for backups. And you won't run into any issues on your PC.

7. NetSlave thread starter macrumors newbie

NetSlave

8. kostia macrumors regular

I run Time Machine to one external drive. I ALSO run SuperDuper once a night to another external drive. That way I have the incremental backups if I lose a file here and there, but if I have a catastrophic failure I never lose more than a day's work because I can do a restore from the SuperDuper bootable clone.

I tried Carbon Copy Cloner but I LOVE SuperDuper, and it has paid for itself many times over in peace of mind!