How to back up an external?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NFLBlitze1, Sep 6, 2009.

1. NFLBlitze1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Heres my predicament, currently, i have a 1st Gen 17" Macbook Pro, it only has a 120gb Internal HD, i bought a 640gb external and use that for Time Machine to back up my computer, But being that i have a lot of music/movies about 400gb or so, i just keep that on the external and play and watch off the external, i recently bought a 1TB WD External HD, and i am wondering if there are any programs out there that will enable me to backup the 640gb external by having both HD's hooked up to me computer at the same time, as opposed to me having to Copy everything on the 640 to the 1TB every few days. ultimately i would like a program that does this periodically. Any thoughts? or can someone point me in the right direction? thanks in advance! <3 :apple:

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Yup agree with Hellhammer. Carbon Copy Cloner FTW

3. NFLBlitze1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

thanks for the suggestion guys, however i came across this in their support forums.

http://forums.bombich.com/viewtopic.php?t=14059

apparently the gist of it, is that WD's aren't capable of being booted from? im not sure if they mean installing OS X on the drive and running from it, that i won't be doing. But will i run into any issues in terms of being able to play off it, or restore my files if need be? im looking for the most user friendly process available. Thanks in advance!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, it'll work fine with CCC, you just can't boot from it.

5. NFLBlitze1 thread starter macrumors newbie

You sir are awarded a one (1) internet