Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Thought I would share this because maybe there are others with the same need.

I typically use an app called YouNote which is free in the AppStore. I like it better than Notes because you can have text notes, audio notes, web notes, drawing notes, etc.

Well the other day I had just done a restore and didn't have YouNote installed, only Notes. I took some important notes during a meeting, then later when I had YouNote back installed, I wanted those same notes into YouNote. As we all are painfully aware, there is no copy and paste yet on the iphone so I had to devise another solution (other than manually retyping all my notes).
My other issue was that I wanted to find a way to backup my notes via SSH rather than the horrid iTunes backup process.

So, through my research, here's what I came up with. First off, both Notes and YouNote store their information in a SQLite database file (SQLite is an open source database engine).
For YouNote, the file is called notedb.db and is located in the following directory:
/private/var/mobile/Applications/903E5A3E-C1F1-4E65-ADCB-F9CECD34F5FC/Documents

(One thing to note here is that I'm still not clear on how these GUIDs in the folder name are created and mapped to each app, and if they are consistent across phones. If you don't see a folder with the same long number as what I have listed above, just browse the folders that are in the Applications folder until you find one that has the YouNote.app folder inside. This will be the folder you use instead of the path above.)

For the Notes application, the file is called notes.db and is located here:
/private/var/mobile/Library/Notes

So one problem is solved at this point in that I can copy the entire Documents folder over to my desktop computer via SSH and now I have a backup of all my notes (for YouNote) and/or I can copy the notes.db file for Notes.

Now I needed a way to copy specific text from Notes to YouNote. I found a very nice SQLite GUI manager called SQLite2008 Pro Enterprise Manager that is freeware and can be downloaded here.

I copied both .db files from the phone to a directory on my computer, and of course made backups of each in case something went wrong.

Using the manager tool and some very basic SQL skills, you can open the .db file for each app and query the tables that hold the note data, then export that data out to other formats. To make it easier, I first created a test note in YouNote so that I'd have a record in the database table to work with.
In the Notes db file, the main table to be concerned with is called note_bodies. I was able to do a simple query on that table (SELECT * FROM note_bodies) to see all the data and then save it off (right click the record and choose Export).
In the YouNote db file, the table we care about is called note. First I did a similar select query as above and found my test note. There is a field called id which is important, its how we tell the database which record to update. The other field we care about is called text, its where the body of the note is stored. The id value for my test note was 7, so I wrote a simple update query as such: UPDATE note SET text = '<my copied data that I pasted into this query>' WHERE id = 7.
This updated the record with my Notes data that I had saved off, so I just copied the YouNote db file back into the same directory on my phone and presto, my note was copied. This process can be repeated for as many notes as you want to copy, plus you can manipulate the data however you want (i.e. copy multiple notes into one, etc).
This probably sounds like more work than it is, but truly it only took me a few minutes and was definitely faster than retyping my information.

So there you have it, hope you find some or all of this info useful. Happy hacking--

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
hello
is there any simple way to extract the audio notes from younote?
i would like to download these audio notes onto my computer so that i can listen to them more easily.
another reason is that, younote tends to freeze, although not crash, when accessing long audio notes (such as lectures. a lecture could be anywhere between 45 to 150 minutes).

Sophiacom

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2008
Informations about YouNote

We were very impressed by the above contributions. Regarding the previous request, we will offer YouNote Desktop, a backup/restore tool to install on your Mac/PC. That will allow to grab your notes from the archives (zip files). And the next release will improve AudioNotes (we didn't think at first that some of you would record long AudioNotes). Regards.

cyba99

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
YouNote Desktop

I tried using YouNote Desktop on the Mac, but it's very confusing, and it doesn't seem to work. Please advise.

Aug 21, 2008
We were very impressed by the above contributions. Regarding the previous request, we will offer YouNote Desktop, a backup/restore tool to install on your Mac/PC. That will allow to grab your notes from the archives (zip files). And the next release will improve AudioNotes (we didn't think at first that some of you would record long AudioNotes). Regards.

nice. Would the desktop program also allow one to edit the notes on their desktop (thus being able to copy and paste from someplace like Outlook) and then upload them to the phone?

Sophiacom

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2008
YouNote answers

Hi,

@cyba99: please take a look on the wiki pages.
(http://code.google.com/p/younote-desktop/w/list)

We modify and improve the content very often. I hope that it will help you. And we plan to add some video to explain how backup/restore your notes.

@Helper Monkey: right now, we don't have enough time to enhance YouNote Desktop in this way. But the tool is open source so maybe some developer will add functionalities before us like import notes from Palm Treo (a important request from YouNote users).
We even got an email from a user who has written bash scripts to create notes automatically ! We will add more information about the structure of the notes to help users to modify their notes on the desktop.

But don't forget that it's a backup/restore tool, not a sync tool.

walky

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
YouNote Desktop does not work

I have tried using the Desktop and it does not seem to work. Does anyone know how to activate the transfer to my PC?
--Added Bonjour to my PC to be prepared...
--Windows XP
--Desktop v1.1:eek:

1) I get the desktop application information and set the settings for the server in the iPhone 2) I click the icon to upload in the in YouNote and I get to the servers menu where mine appears but nothing happens. It correctly displays my computer "name". The windows at the Desktop show nothing. It is unmovable, nothing happens.:D

UPDATE: Dec 17 2008
2)I uploaded ver 1.2 and still have the same problem. It baffles me becuas eit aske dme for a password once, that means that it was able to make some kind of a connection!

I also removed all firewalls on the PC.
-- I am completely frustrated and about to end the use of YouNote, though there is nothing so far comparable that has all the features that YouNote has, but the ability to transfer to the PC is paramount.

GOOD NEWS: Here for eveyone to try: http://amountaintop.com/iphone-wifi-not-working-reset-your-network-settings

The only thing that made the connection possible, a reset of networks and joining my LAN form scratch. This is so good!!!!

walky

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
I have tried using the Desktop and it does not seem to work. Does anyone know how to activate the transfer to my PC?
--Added Bonjour to my PC to be prepared...
--Windows XP
--Desktop v1.1:eek:

1) I get the desktop application information and set the settings for the server in the iPhone 2) I click the icon to upload in the in YouNote and I get to the servers menu where mine appears but nothing happens. It correctly displays my computer "name". The windows at the Desktop show nothing. It is unmovable, nothing happens.:D

Hi,

@cyba99: please take a look on the wiki pages.
(http://code.google.com/p/younote-desktop/w/list)

We modify and improve the content very often. I hope that it will help you. And we plan to add some video to explain how backup/restore your notes.

THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!

But don't forget that it's a backup/restore tool, not a sync tool.

It serves the same purpose:eek:, I just want to se my notes in my pc to work with them in many ways.

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008

Wow I had no idea this thread was still active or that anyone actually read my post. Glad people are reading and sharing, thanks also to the YouNote developers for continuously improving their product.

Sophiacom

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2008
YouNote Desktop improved

Hi,

Younote Desktop has been improved to be more reliable and is available on Google Code. And we have added a check process to detect new release of the software which is open source.
Please, Walky, download this new release.
If you have any issue, you can fill out the form here.
Sincerely.

walky

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
Hi,

Younote Desktop has been improved to be more reliable and is available on Google Code. And we have added a check process to detect new release of the software which is open source.
Please, Walky, download this new release.
If you have any issue, you can fill out the form here.
Sincerely.

My iPhone is first generation and is not jailbroken. although it has the latest firmware. Does that make any difference? Still, don't know how can I transfer the files form YouNote with iTunes. Any help???

walky

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
My iPhone is first generation and is not jailbroken. although it has the latest firmware. Does that make any difference? Still, don't know how can I transfer the files form YouNote with iTunes. Any help???

That did not work, but this did the trick:

Here for eveyone to try: http://amountaintop.com/iphone-wifi-not-working-reset-your-network-settings :eek::D;)

The only thing that made the connection possible, a reset of networks and joining my LAN from scratch again. This is so good!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.