how to back up external hardrive using time machine?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by badger128, Feb 25, 2011.

1. badger128 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i seem to be having a problem, i have an IMAC with 2 external hardrives connect via ethernet (router). one of them is set up for time machine and works great in backing up my internal IMAC hardrive, however no matter what i do i can not get time machine to back up my second external hardrive, which is annoying as i store all of my media files on this second drive!

is it a case of having to plug it in via firewire/usb?? this isnt really a good answer as file transfer would be too slow!

any help would be much appreciated

thanks
    badger128

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you check your Time Machine preferences, to make sure the external drive isn't on the excluded list?

3. badger128 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi,
    thanks for the reply, the answer is yes i have checked the time machine prefrences and at present nothing is on the exclude list. i feel like it should be really easy to setup but you dont seem to get many options with time machine!

badger128

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

If it's not in the excluded drives list it should be being backed up.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One of the many reasons I prefer to use Carbon Copy Cloner for backups.

6. badger128 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, i have down loaded CCC but still cant select my NAS drive! any ideas?

thanks
    badger128

7. Chris5488 macrumors regular

Why would you want to use Time Machine to backup a NAS?
    You are supposed to use it the other way around, the NAS as a Time Machine target!

Backing up data on your NAS to what? Another NAS??

Time Machine is for backing up your Mac.

8. badger128 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi chris5488

i understand what you are saying chris, but unfortunatly i have out grown my imac internal hardrive, for this reason i have bought another NAS drive to put all my media files into (picture&music), i used a NAS drive so that others in my household could also store info on the drive from the network. i just want to be able to back this info up as well as my mac internal drive!

hope this is clearer?

badger128