How to back up my dvd movies

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hworkr, Aug 16, 2008.

1. hworkr macrumors newbie

hworkr

hey i just bought my first mac and i was wondering if anyone can help me as to how i can back up/burn my dvd movies. What program do i use? what program can i buy or download? help me out please.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Back up how? As a straight rip from the DVD? Use MacTheRipper.

Compressed? Use Handbrake.

3. ZballZ macrumors regular

As mentioned. MacTheRipper is good for copying the DVD from the disc to your computer. Most DVDs today are copy-protected, which is why you need special software for this.

Now, you can leave them on the computer or on an external harddisk OR burn them back onto a blanc DVD. The latter needs compression. Since most movie-DVDs are DL (dual-layer) and around twice the size of you regular blanc burnable DVD, a movie simply wont fit onto the blanc disc. You need to compress it in size. This can be done with DVD2One or Handbrake or Toast. If you dont already have any dvd-cd-burning software, Toast is very good, and will cover most needs.

Get MacTheRipper and Toast, and you're good to go.

4. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the explanation, ZballZ!
    I never intend to use my iMac as a television, so I have none of the software mentioned, but your detailed explanation of what and why was much appreciated by me. :)
    Morod

5. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

I would suggest just using handbrake.. check out the tutorials in the itunes discussion forum.. it has a great how to.

6. floppitydoppity macrumors newbie

hi did you ever manage to be successful.
    i have macc the rippered and got it onto HD. tried Burn softeare to write to disc but won't play in dvd player.

need some advice.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just wanted to add a note- if you use Double Layer blanks (which have come down in price a long way) you can avoid the compression phase (with resulting compression artifacts) altogether for at least your favorite movies.

Also, the freeware version of Mac The Ripper (Version 2.6.6) which has not been supported to about three years now will not rip many of the later DVDs successfully. One needs to go to www.ripdifferent.com and join the MTR forum to obtain the current supported release (3.0 r14m) which has capabilities light years ahead of the old 2.6.6.

I will caution you to READ the stickies regarding how to obtain it though! A lot of the users on that forum are really tired of people posting about how to obtain without reading the stickies which lay the procedure out in detail! ;)

And as a general note, only rip movies you own to create a single backup for your protection.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Though there is other software for this, using the "Video_TS folders" option under the Video tab in Toast Titanium is commonly used for burning the rip to disks whether they are single layer (in which case Toast does the compression required) or double layer disks with no compression.