How to back up my OS 3.0.1 with Custom Carrier File

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HiFiGuy528, Apr 30, 2010.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I have official Apple tethering enabled by changing the carrier file (NOT jailbreak). I am NOT updating the OS to 3.1.3 because I don't want to lose it. How do I go about backing up this OS along with the hacked carrier file so I can do a "clean" reinstall? The phone is running a bit slow so I want o do a complete wipe to clear all the crap in memory. Will I be able to reinstall from backup with the hack untouched?

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

If you restore from a backup it should speed it up, and still have tethering enabled. Why would you want to back up that profile? Why not just download a new one from http://www.iphone-notes.de/mobileconfig/ ?

3. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Because I don't have 3.0.1 saved on my HD. If I do a Restore it will download the latest OS right?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you using a 3GS model or 3G?
    If you're on a 3GS you will not be able to restore to anything but the latest 3.1.3 unless you had your SHSH's saved.

5. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Actually you may have it on your HDD. Check ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone_Software_Updates
    If it's not there you can download it from here.

I would assume he has a 3G because it's in his signature. I did forget about that though, so OP, I'm assuming you have a 3G, so tell us if you don't.

6. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

7. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Oh shoot, okay. Well, I don't have a 3Gs so I don't know much the restore process on there, but I don't see why you couldn't just option restore to the 3.0.1 and then restore from a backup. I would try it unless AppleJuiced (or anyone else) has anything to say about it.

8. ILikeToJB macrumors member

Because Apple has a new way of blocking Jailbreaks. It applies to the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3g, and iPad. When you restore one of those devices to an older firmware, iTunes sends your ECID to Apple's servers, and then Apple send back the SHSH's, or Signature Hashes. If Apple stops signing the firmware, then when iTunes sends the ECID to Apple, Apple wont return the SHSH, and then you will receive an error. Thats why if you backup your SHSH's on Cydia's server, then you just have to edit your host file, and you can restore, because it tricks iTunes into thinking that Cydia is Apple, and Cydia will return the SHSH, unlike Apple. Apple usually stops signing the previous firmware after the release of a new one. Thats why its so vital to get them on file. You can read more about it at http://www.saurik.com/id/12

9. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Is that why you get in a bootloop?

10. ILikeToJB macrumors member

You don't get into a bootloop. I tried it earlier today on 3.1.2, without my 3.1.2 SHSH on file with Cydia, and I got an error. It only put me in recovery mode, and since it didn't erase the firmware yet, I was able to run iRecovery and boot it back up. Recovery mode and bootloops are 2 distinctively different things.

11. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Oh, but if he restored using the 3.0.1 then he could use iRecovery to start it, or it just wouldn't do anything? What to people without internet do?

12. ILikeToJB macrumors member

A. Go to the Apple Store and ask for help.
    B. Use a friend's computer.
    C. They're screwed.

Usually things don't go wrong on a non-Jailbroken iPhone.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not possible. It wont let you restore unless you're connected online and verifies it with Apples servers.
    I explained it to you many times before.
    With the 3GS you cant restore to anything but the latest firmware out there unless you have your SHSHs for that particular firmware built.
    No if's or buts.