How to back up Sony Handycam files on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ace.of.Trades, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Ace.of.Trades, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

Ace.of.Trades macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone,

I have a bunch of HD footage from my Sony HDR-CX550 Handycam. The camera memory is starting to get full, so I'd like to back it up and clear it off.

I'm really afraid that I'll back up the info the wrong way and then I'll delete my precious video memories and never be able to recover them.

I'm attaching an image that shows what it looks like when I plug my camera into my Mac. The DCIMs I can read fine, but I'm really confused as to what the MODELCFG.IND does. It has that icon that I believe means it's only PC-readable. I'm attaching another picture of what the inside of AVF_INFO looks like. Those files are also really mysterious.

Inside AVCHD, after a bit of navigating, there are a ton more files that don't have previews. The only files that look like they could possibly be movie files are the ".MTS" files, but a few of them has ".xmp" files next to them.

Right now, I'm copying everything to an external hard drive, but I really have no idea whether FCP or any other program will be able to recognize the files in the future.

Any advice on backing up my videos would be much appreciated.

Screen shot 2011-08-21 at 6.28.24 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-21 at 6.30.14 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-21 at 6.34.14 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-21 at 6.34.22 PM.png

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You have to copy the complete file structure to your computer, then use FCP's Log&Transfer to unwrap your video files.

3. Ace.of.Trades thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, cgbier (again! you're a great authority on these things). I guess it's safe to assume that if I just copy everything, nothing will get corrupted, despite the Mac platform.

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

That's why you have to copy the whole structure.

5. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I have the 560 and from everything I read it's pretty much the same structure. So just move all the files to a folder, can name one pics, and one video, however you want, then drag them all in.
    For instance iPhoto opens for all the pics (if you use the camera for pics) and FCX can also open them all up in the correct numbered sequence.

Just like everything else important, back up your video files with time machine or directly to another hard drive. Whichever you prefer. Also depending on quality put them on a DVD or blu ray, yeah it could take awhile, but at least you won't have to keep transferring the footage back to the cam. You could handbreak them and watch via AppleTV. (tossed that in there cause I'm not sure how you like to watch your videos) Plus I fear leaving all the memories on the cam and an accident happens.