How to Back up?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by darkal1en, Aug 11, 2014.

1. darkal1en macrumors newbie

Hi I have a Powermac 11,2 which I have decently recently started using as my main PC and use for music via Logic 9 as my hobby. As a result I have more data on the machine that I would like to protect against a dreaded HD failure etc. I have 2 hard drives on my machine and wondered what is the best and easiest back up solution for me?
    Can I set up an external HD that the Powermac can backup to? Will such a set up allow other PCs and laptops on my network back up also....just unsure what to do and how. Any advice would be much appreciated, what are others doing?
    Please bare in mind that I not too tech savvy so any suggestions would need to be something that a relative noob could implement.

Thanks

2. hamis92 macrumors 6502

Which version of Mac OS X are you running? If you have Leopard (10.5), you can use Time Machine with an external hard drive to automatically back up – just like on newer Intel Macs.

To use Time Machine, just plug in an external hard drive and the computer will ask if you would like to use it for backing up. If this doesn't happen, the hard drive is probably not correctly formatted (it has either FAT32 or NTFS file system). In that case, head over to Disk Utility and format the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) – be aware that formatting erases everything on the drive, so make sure to copy any data somewhere else before proceeding. After that it should work.

3. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Also, Apple had a neat 'Backup' app that I'd be willing to send to you if you can't find it.

4. darkal1en thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys thanks for your advice I'm running 10.5 so it should be fine. I just need to get a external hard drive to format and use for this specific purpose.
    128 what's the app you were referring to?

5. hamis92 macrumors 6502

I've been looking for this app! Could you upload it somewhere and perhaps PM me? That would be much appreciated.

6. darkal1en thread starter macrumors newbie