How to Back up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Aug 16, 2010.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I want to install a new fresh version of SL on my laptop. I have never done a backup or a format in MAC OSX, so I am not quite sure to know how to do that.

What I want is to save my pictures, music and important documents that I can transfer back when the new SL will be installed. I want fresh new system files and not apply my current configuration.

Should I use time machine? or just move the folders and my picture library into my external drive and transfer them back?

Thanks you

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

3. celticpride678

Best thing to do it use Time Machine and just grab the files that you want after install.

However, you could just copy your entire hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner and then grab whatever you want from there.

4. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not quite sure to understand how time machine works. How can I get back my files without having to put the whole image back?

5. celticpride678

Just view the external hard drive in Finder as you normally would and drag-and-drop what you want from the drive to your computer.

6. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Time Machine allows you to pick individual files from various dates and copy them to your current drive.

7. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Use TimeMachine. I use it daily for backups. It is also a great way to migrate to a fresh install.

All you'd do is go to Applications, click on TimeMachine, and then select a drive for the backups to be saved to. You will need an external hard drive, so make sure you account for the size when buying. You don't wanna buy a 100GB drive when your backup is going to be 300GB.

After you do the back up, just plug it back in, 'enter TimeMachine', and you can select and restore all of the files you want. Then you can delete everything else if you'd like, too.