How to backup 3-5TB data?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ascender, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ascender macrumors 68020

I was just wondering what people are using to backup large amounts of data these days? With a massive rise in the amount of people storing 1TB+ of data, there's obviously a market for something to do the job. I'm looking for something to back up my ever-expanding iTunes library which is just going to get even bigger once I start converting DVDs.

Thanks.

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'd say Drobo as well but you'll need a firm grasp on economics to choose what size drives represent the best value at the moment,that is 750gb are a good buy at present but leave you a bit short of space whilst bigger drives are too expensive but somewhat future proof.It may even be best to buy two Drobos and use cheaper drives.

4. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I know newegg.com has the 1.5TB drives for under $200, not a bad deal considering the size and that they're fairly new

5. ascender thread starter macrumors 68020

Sorry, I should have expanded further :)

What if you're using your Drobo for data storage and need to back that up somehow?

6. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

7. ascender thread starter macrumors 68020

The thought crossed my mind, but I'm having a nightmare with my Drobo at the moment so wouldn't trust them to look after a house brick, let alone my data.

8. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I'm currently using a FreeNas server I made out of an old P4 3.2 gig computer. Right now I'm storing on a 1tb drive with the freenas' built in rsync to back up that drive to another internal drive.

Right now I'm on the lookout for a good hardware raid card to make a big raid 5 setup freenas box that's also backed up to ANOTHER regular freenas box.

Call me crazy but I like at least two copies of all data just in case.

I've also read blog postings about how to get time machine to backup to a freenas server but I've yet to need that.

www.freenas.org is the link

Zack

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Are you talking about archiving as well? or just a normal backup? At some point a tape backup might be an option.

10. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

11. ascender thread starter macrumors 68020

Maybe another NAS is the way forward. The majority of the data will be media, so won't be changing often, therefore its more an issue of something with enough space to back things up rather than how its going to do it. Even a once-weekly dump of the drives would be enough.

You know, I'm almost starting to think that I should get a Mac Pro, load it up with 4 disks, RAID5 it and then use a Drobo to back it up. That would mean selling my iMac, but maybe that's the best way forward given that I'm now ripping DVDs as well as music to the Mac.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

As others have said, NAS may be a good option. If you go with the Mac Pro, DAS (Direct Attached Storage) may also be an option. :)

13. ascender thread starter macrumors 68020

Its kind of an extreme solution, but at the moment my data isn't safe as there's no backup of the media stuff. I think I maybe need to go back to the drawing board!

Or buy an old Power Mac and stuff it with drives and a RAID controller, chuck it on the network?

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

As you're currently using an iMac, it does make most options useless. :(
    FW is a bust, as it would be cost prohibitive, and eSATA is non existent. I keep coming back to NAS in this case, as it seems the most realistic, and cost effective.

How many drives do you wish to stuff in an NAS system anyway?

15. VoR macrumors 6502a

I use freenas, afp absolutely flies.
    If you can read a manual, I can't see a better solution than an oss server/nas.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

DIY usually is a great way to save $$$. :D
    I use it when I can, as I have the ability to diagnose and repair it. ;)
    Unfortunately, not everyone has the skills or inclination to do so. :( Though I have the impression the OP does. :)