How to backup a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AceC, Jan 31, 2014.

1. AceC macrumors member

How does one go about backing up a MBP? What does a back-up accomplish, and why is it important?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can backup a Mac with:
    1. Time Machine (backs up everything, including system junk).
    2. SuperDuper (gives you the option to back up selected file and folders. I use this one).
    3. CarbonCopyCloner (makes a bootable backup of your OS).

It's important to do a backup regularly (I do mine twice a day, afternoons and evenings). In case your internal drive goes south, you have something to fall back to.

I've come across too many people who don't make backups and then complain when they lose all their data. They only have themselves to blame for not having half a brain to do regular backups.

3. AceC thread starter macrumors member

So once you use these programs, where is the backup? Like I don't get how it works. Sorry I'm so tech-illiterate.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

You need an external hard drive that is either accessed via USB or over wifi.

Since you're not a tech minded person, I'd go with Time Machine. Go to Best Buy or wherever you buy computer accessories (not the Apple Store; you'll be paying WAY too much). I'd suggest a drive made by Western Digital like a My Passport or My Book. Get a size that will fit your internal drive plus some. 500gb should be plenty if you have a newer MacBook Pro. You also don't need the Mac-specific ones. You'll format it properly once you connect the drive.

In order to set it up, I'd go to an Apple Store or authorized service provider and get some help or find a friend who has some familiarity with Mac. I can try to explain it to you, but it is a but tricky if you don't know what you're doing.

An easier but more pricy option is to buy an Apple Time Capsule. It should come already formatted correctly, and it connects over wifi.

Time Machine itself is pretty easy. Find the clock icon on the right side of the menu bar. Click it. A window opens. Just slide the bar to On and set up from there (if I'm recalling from memory correctly; I'm too lazy to dig out my Mac, and my time machine drive isn't with me).

5. AceC thread starter macrumors member

Alright, that definitely helps. Thank you!

My question is though, since I don't have a lot of important files and whatnot on my Mac; I mainly use it for internet and whatnot, would you think it's worth my time and efforts to back it up then?

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i just ordered a new router that i can plug my external hard drive into and can backup my mac over wifi. won't even need to think about it.

7. OldGreyGuy macrumors member

OldGreyGuy

Can you afford to lose all the files/links/photos/documents on the disk? If so then you don't need to back it up, but if you can't afford to lose these things then you need to back it up.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a tech support article from Apple that explains Time Machine pretty well and how to set it up.

Even if you don't have any documents you are worried about losing, it is still a good idea to make a backup. The new Macs like yours have the OS and applications installed over the Internet. If you ever have a drive failure and need to reinstall the OS and everything back to a new, replacement drive it can be a huge hassle and very time consuming. Whereas is you have a Time Machine backup you can just boot from the backup disk and quickly restore everything right back to how it was. Much easier.