How to Backup Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aCondor, Oct 16, 2011.

1. aCondor macrumors 6502

I'll be doing a fresh install of Snow Leopard soon, and need some advice.

I have an external hard drive that I am going to save my music/media files, documents, and apps before I format the drive.

When backing up an application, do I simply drag the application from the ~/Applications folder onto the hard drive? Or do I need to backup the actual .dmg file?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Depending on the application, it may need more than just a simple drag from applications.

Just do a reinstall from your original discs or whatever.

3. aCondor thread starter macrumors 6502

The applications in question were downloaded and, in some cases, are quite large files. It would be a hassle for me to re-download all of these after the format, enough of a hassle to make me wait and re-think this process :).

Basically, if I copy and paste my ~/Applications folder to an external HD, then format internal HD, then move ~/Applications folder back ... will the applications still work or need to be completely re-installed with original .dmg file?

Edit: Eh, I'll do it anyways and update this thread on whether it works or not.

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

NO NO!!!! Do not copy the entire Applications folder!!! Only copy your Apps.

If you copy the entire applications folder over, your going to screw up the stock OS X Apps.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just clone your Mac to external (I use Carbon Copy cloner and clone to your current state of OS X to the external, plus it will be bootable. Then instal the newer version of OS X and use the Migration Assistant part of the install (or after using /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant) and move you settings back to your fresh install.