How to backup apps ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geta, Jul 2, 2017.

1. geta macrumors 6502a

I've noticed when i backup iPhone with iOS 10.3.1 that iTunes not asking me if i would like to backup my apps like it used to ask with iOS 8.2 .
    Is there any other way to save the ipa files on my computer like it used to be in the past? Its very useful to have older app versions in case i would like to downgrade apps..

2. posguy99 macrumors 6502

This is due to app thinning. If you want copies of the apps in iTunes on your computer, simply use iTunes to download them. The ability to maintain your library in iTunes has not gone away.

3. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you saying that if i want to have a copy of my apps in iTunes library like i had so far, i need to download them again for the second time, one by one on through iTunes as well? If so its gonna be an hassle to maintain all the apps from now on..

No other way to do so like in the past?

4. posguy99 macrumors 6502

I'm not getting your problem. It's so hard to click one button in iTunes?

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Just turn on iTunes auto downloads. It will auto download every time you download on a device.

6. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where can i find the auto downloads in iTunes ?

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Preferences and I believe the store tab.

8. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you’re talking about the auto download in the download tab, where i need to mark ‘app’, i’ve tried that, but i can’t find where the updated app locate, its not in the old folder..

9. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I never have to download them on my computer. When I backup my phone to iTunes it asks if you want to transfer purchases

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

When an app updates. It sends the old IPA file to your trash. Been like that since the beginning of apps.

11. chscag macrumors 68000

They're downloaded here: Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications/

12. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Before i changed to iOS 10.3.1 from 8.2 it used to work like that, every time i made backup iTunes was asking me if i want to transfer purchases\updated apps as well, the older ipa files was in the trash, and the new ones always could be found in the same Mobile Applications folder.

It seems like whatever im trying to do now not working and i cant save the new ipa files while im making backups. The only option im having is to download every single new or updated app separately in iTunes, then it will save them in the Mobile Applications folder like it used to do automatically as part of the backups.. and of course i need to sign in first if i want to download them, what a hassle this is.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Again, if you set up automatic app downloads, it will download it to iTunes every time you download a new app to your device. The only thing you have to do is periodically hit update all in iTunes. But you don't have to download each app manually.

14. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Why wouldn't you expect to sign in in order to download them? You had to do that before.

As I said, App Thinning means that iTunes will not transfer an app bundle back from the phone to your library. But if you maintain the app in your library, iTunes will get it from there in preference to having to download it.

15. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've set up the auto app download in iTunes before i downloaded new app on my phone and nothing happened in iTunes.. cant find the new app anywhere on my mac. I made new backup as well, and nothing... the only thing that happened when i pressed sync was that iTunes copied the updated apps i downloaded earlier on iTunes to my phone.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Have you tried hitting the check for purchases option? I don't have my computer in front of me, but it's either File or Edit. Completely quitting iTunes and reopening will also force it to check for purchases. I have zero issues with auto downloads.

17. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whatever i tried so far not working for me, iTunes wont download any purchases or updated apps to my Mac while im making backup.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

It won't update apps on your mac, that has already been mentioned above. You have to go to the update pane and hit "update all apps".

19. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lets put the updated apps aside for now, the purchases\new apps on my phone wont moved,copied or downloaded to iTune library\mobile application folder as well.

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I feel like we are circling now. This is because of App Splitting, as mentioned in the first response to your OP.

21. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

You said you having zero issues with auto download, i marked the apps in the auto download and nothing happening while im making the backup. Dont know what im doing wrong, but noting moving\copying automatically, and i never been asked if you want to transfer purchases.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Auto download has nothing to do with backing up.

As I have outlined a couple times above, auto download will download the app to iTunes when you download a new app on your iOS device. Therefore you don't need to find it iTunes to download it again to make your iTunes library match. This has nothing to do with backing up.

23. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, its nothing to do with backup. Still when im downloading new app on my phone, iTunes not downloading it as well even when its marked.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 5, 2017 ---
    I've found some workaround to my problem, but its an hassle to do so every single time.

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Maybe try contacting Apple and figure out why auto download is not working. Because it works without a hitch here, therefore I don't have to download new apps every single time twice.