How to backup bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ashman70, Dec 20, 2010.

1. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Hope this hasn't been asked already, I looked around and couldn't see any threads asking this question.

I know I can do backups within Windows, but Time Machine and Carbon Copy seem to exclude the boot camp partition, is there a way or another program that will back it up for easy restoration in the event of a hard disk failure?

Thanks

AM

2. Lbatson21 macrumors newbie

Haven't tried this yet but I'm in the same boat. I want to back up and I've heard of using Winclone but seems like some issues with that from others who have tried. I did find this which I will try as soon as I get some time to but this seems like a better option. http://www.ehow.com/how_5393753_clone-bootcamp-partition.html Let us know if any of this works.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't think there is anything you can use in OS X that'll be able to backup the entire disk with a bootcamp partition (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Obviously you can use bootable utilities but nobody likes to do it manually.

The way I do it is just to have OS X back up with SuperDuper, then when I bootcamp into windows it'll automatically backup to a network location.

4. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mind you it just occurred to me that imaging software from Acronis should work, make an image of the partition then a boot CD, should work.

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

+1. Acorns rocks.

It isn't Time Machine, but it's best of breed in the win world.

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Winclone worked GREAT for me. Just a couple months ago I made an exact clone of my windows partition (Windows7). Everything worked just as expected.

Winclone would be my suggestion

7. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trying Winclone now, here is a question though, does it matter if the external hard drive you are backing up to is mac formatted or NTFS?

AM

8. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

your extended drive needs to be formatted for a mac. That way when you go to restore it, you plug in your external HD, open Winclone and restore the image.

I know right, doesn't make much sense to back up your windows partition on a mac formatted external drive, but that's how I did it and it worked flawlessly.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

+1

I did the same thing when I wanted to increase my Bootcamp partition and move to another hard drive. WinClone is free and works great.

10. abarone macrumors newbie

Looks like this thread hasn't been posted to in a while, but I am about to attempt moving my BootCamp Windows 7 Installation to a new Hard Drive and had a question.

Can someone please post the steps needed to do this with Winclone?

As I understand it, I should use Wincone to make an image of my bootcamp partition.

When I install the new hard drive and create a partition to restore Win7 onto, do I need to format the partition first as NTFS with windows?

Or, do I just partition the drive and than restore the backup with Winclone?

Also.. Can I restore the Winclone backup of Win7 onto a larger partition?

Thanks!

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Sorry didnt see this earlier but I got your PM. Just use Winclone to make an image of your Windows 7 partition. Install the new hard drive and format it for GUID. Install OSX again or from your existing cloned image(Superduper!) and run the bootcamp utility again and create a bigger partition if you need too. Run Winclone and restore to your new larger Bootcamp partition.

Winclone and SuperDuper! Are my favorite apps. They make upgradin so much easier.

12. abarone macrumors newbie

Thanks

Actually, the new drive is to eliminate the need of having my main drive for OSX partitioned for OSX and Bootcamp... So, I only need to "clone"/migrate the bootcamp partition and leave OSX where it is and then increase its disk space by removing the bootcamp partition.

I'll let you know how it goes, thank you for your help!

13. K-McK, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

K-McK macrumors newbie

Since Winclone has not been updated for awhile, I am wondering if it will work on Snow Leopard to make a clone of Windows 7 64 bit?

14. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

yes, works for me just fine

15. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yep still works. I was using Snow Leopard on my 64bit Win7 partition.