How to: Backup BootCamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, Sep 27, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

i'm intentionally posting this here and not in the Windows section because it has nothing really to do with Windows but more about Apple and it's BootCamp implementation.

It seems like there's no way to migrate BootCamp installations or even back them up?

It's very frustrating because it's really time-consuming to re-install BootCamp/ Windows and all the applications every time you get a new Mac. Therefore i love the feature in OS-X to be able to migrate from a previous Mac but it's unfortunately not available for BootCamp.

Also i really like that you can simply select one file (drive-file) created by the VMWare or Parallels but because BootCamp is a real harddrive partition it seems there's no way to quickly back it up the same way?

Any suggestions?

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I use an app called WinClone. (Alternativly you could use Norton Ghost). The beauty of WinClone is that is runs in Mac OS. :)

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yep, WinClone is most certainly the way to go! This and Carbon Copy Cloner are two of the only utilities that are free that have gotten me to donate to them because they are just SO useful and well done!

4. turtle2009 macrumors newbie

where to get winclone 1.6.6

Do you guys know where to download the winclone 1.6.6 version as this support Tiger OS.
    Presently all the download sites only make available for download winclone 2.0.9 which requires leopard and does not run on tiger.
    My current system is tiger running the beta bootcamp.
    i hope not to have to upgrade to leopard just because of this...

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well I would ask if you have just written to the author yet? It is a single person developing it and a couple of times I have have contacted him through the contact info on the WinClone website he has gotten back to me right away. I would bet that would be the simplest way as I am sure he has links to older versions in his archive and would help you out in your situation.