How to backup files before clean-install of Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TantalizedMind, Oct 22, 2007.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Hey guys.

Just wondering the easiest way to store some files before I do a clean install of Leopard. I used to copy EVERYTHING to cd's but that was such a pain. I don't have that much to save/transfer at all.

20-30 songs from iTunes (will install all other songs by using the cd's)
    1000 small photos
    300-400 photos from iPhoto
    40 Microsoft Word documents

Last time I put my iPhoto photos on cd's they got messed up. Some didn't save and others imported blurry/pixelated.

I am getting an external HDD for Time Machine. Can I just hook up the external HDD to my Mac now and save all those files.... Clean install Leopard and then re-connect the HDD and throw the files on my new clean OS?

I hope it's that easy! Oh... and silly question. Can I put files on the external HDD after I let Time Machine use it as the backup drive?

Thanks guys!

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If your external disk is big enough then you could create 2 partitions, one for Time Machine and the other for saving your files to. You can always use the second partition as a scratch disk once you've transferred your files back into your new Leopard installation.

3. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Could I transfer the files onto the Mac after installing Leopard, delete the files and then just use it for Time Machine?

4. wngraham macrumors regular

Yep, that's what I'm planning on doing as well.

5. JW008 macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's my plan as well. I just hope that I'm getting all the files I need off my iMac by backing up my Home folder and my Applications folder! :)

6. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

What about iCal information? Is the "Backup Database" option the best (only?) way to do it? I assume that we'll be able to open the .icbu file in the new iCal, yes?

Granted I'll be cloning my entire drive to an external before I do the clean install, so it's not that big of an issue since I'll have a copy of my iCal stuff for sure, but this is a reliable way to do it, right?

7. JW008 macrumors 6502

I'm relying on .Mac sync for bookmarks, address book, iCal, keychain, Mail settings, etc. That's probably the best way to do it. Of course if you don't have .Mac, you could have problem with .Mac syncing... :)

8. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

I do have .Mac, and I do use the sync. Just want to have a backup on hand just in case though.

9. JW008 macrumors 6502

Very true...I'm going to go ahead and back up all that stuff to my iDisk!