How to backup from OSx and fusion/Bootcamp at the same time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

I have an external 1TB harddrive which I'd like to use to backup files created in OSx and fusion/bootcamp. Is it possible to set this up to happen automatically in time machine for both systems? Does the hard drive need to be formatted in a completely in OSx format (what do you call this format?) or split formatted between OSx and Windows(NTFS or FAT32)?

Is it possible to connect my PC and directly transfer files to my MacBook and then to the external drive?

2. simsaladimbamba

Time Machine will NOT backup the Boot Camp Windows partition, but the VMWare Fusion VM, though if the VM is linked to the Boot Camp partition, the VM will be small anyway and backing it up will not bring anything.
    As for proper formats:

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

Time Machine FAQ

You could use WinClone to make backups of the Windows partition, though it does not do that automatically.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:
    [​IMG]

3. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your detailed reply!

Can I connect the 1TB HDD in OSx and format 500GB for HFS+ and use time machine, then connect the same drive into boot camp, format the remaining 500GB for NTFS and use a windows time machine equivalent?

4. simsaladimbamba

You can try, but I don't know, if such software (TM Windows equivalent) exists and will work on a two partition HDD.

Time Machine FAQ

5. Iphone4sinwhite, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Other than the windows TN equivalent, is the rest of the plan (formatting half in HFS+/exFAT) feasible?

Must an exFAT partition be created in OSx?