How to backup HD before clean install of Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by machomer, Jun 17, 2008.

1. machomer macrumors regular

From other posts it seems that alot of people recommend doing a fresh install of Leopard and back up my HD.

I have an external HD that I use with my Mac and Windows computers. I downloaded CCC, but it doesn't recognize my external HD as a target. Someone suggested that I need to format the HD for a MAC. I don't want to lose my data.

I saw there was an option for Backup everything and create disk image, but it will not be able to boot from the image. Will creating a disk image of my Mac HD allow me to copy my files back over once Leopard is installed?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

CCC will only backup to a HFS + formatted drive. It can then make the drive bootable in order to restore to the internal HD.

I don't know how large your external is but if it's large enough you might think about partitioning it into two partitions. The first as HFS + so that CCC can use it for backups, the second as FAT-32.

Worried about losing data during the partitioning process? Use Partition Magic if you have it or GParted (free). Both can re-partition non-destructively. Make sure the first partition you create on the external is raw. The second as FAT-32 for your Win data. Then use Disk Utility from your Mac to format the first partition on the external as HFS +.

Backing up to an image with CCC requires the same HFS + formatting be used. Not a good option as the image is not bootable.

Regards.