How to backup iOS contacts to new Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pmxbass, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Pmxbass macrumors newbie

I bought a used Mac Mini to see if i'd like the Mac environment, I just updated all the software in it to the latest versions and of Snow Leopard, model is tool old for an upgrade to Lion.

I used to sync my iPhone and iPad to my Windows pc and to iCloud and want to now use the Mac as the main iTunes account so I authorised it and clicked all the buttons needed for synching it (and copied the whole windows iTunes folder to the Mac)

Whatever I tried I can't get this to work. Can someone tell me how I can send my iOS contacts, bookmarks ansd iCal events to the respective software on the Mac Mini?? Each time i sync my phone to the Mac none of that data goes to t he Mac

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I've always used mobile me and now I use iCloud. When I first got an iDevice (iPod Touch), I let iTunes "sync" my data which meant it set up my email preferences but no contact or calendar or email data actually transferred during the "sync". I allowed mobile me to sync my data wirelessly and have never given it another thought. Why is it you can't upgrade to Lion? RAM? I popped open 3 of our old minis and upgraded the RAM to 2 GB myself. They run Lion just fine. Opening an older Mini is a bit of an adventure. You must pry around the edges with a metal putty knife but once you get it started the cover comes off easily. OWC has posted a youtube video here. Then there are screws antennas and a ribbon cable to deal with. I got so I could do the whole thing in under 10 minutes but I've done this multiple times.

If the whole putty knife method sounds like too much, then perhaps it is best to continue looking for a more conventional method to sync such as the usb cable or a "workaround" such as the one detailed here to set up Snow Leopard apps to sync with iCLoud...

3. Pmxbass thread starter macrumors newbie

Lion is not supported on Core Single and Core Duo processor so there's no way i'll be able to upgrade. The mini is a 2006 Core Duo I got at a really cheap price to try out Apple computers.

That terminal/dos-type thing is a bit out of my reach at this point, am I stuck with having to live without iCal and my contacts?