Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Is Apple going to force us to buy iCloud storage to backup our iDevices or will there be an iTunes component that remains for local backup?

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Is Apple going to force us to buy iCloud storage to backup our iDevices or will there be an iTunes component that remains for local backup?
Wow almost no-one read the article here or the 9 to 5 Mac article it quotes:
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/31/goodbye-itunes/

https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/09/music-app-macos-itunes-code/

From the second:

The new standalone Music app on macOS will actually be an AppKit application, based off of iTunes. It will include many of the advanced features iTunes users are accustomed to, including things such as smart playlists, advanced library management, syncing with iPods and iOS devices, and even disc reading and burning

I'm betting backups will still be possible.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Somehow there will be another way of making and keeping a hard backup.

I do not want to trust only the cloud to keep my data.

It might be a deal breaker for me but betting there will always be a way to do hard local backups.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
As long as they continue to allow local syncing of Contacts and Calendars I’ll be fine. If they don’t, then I won’t be updating anything until they do. Sound familiar … it happened a few years ago when Apple removed local syncing of info (Mavericks I think it was) and I just waited until they reinstated it the following year. I choose not to use any cloud storage whatsoever, whether it be for backup or syncing purposes.

Reactions: jagolden

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Keep in mind that Apple will also have to replace the Windows version of iTunes with compatible Windows apps. The new Music app will likely replace most of what iTunes does with playlists, syncing to iPods, and backups.

Reactions: joeblow7777

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Got it, I wonder if this will be limited to MacOS only?

I would think not! It would be stupid of Apple to shut out PC users. If they make it any harder for me to manage my music library on my iPhone, I'll probably just switch to Android.

Reactions: Tmacc47
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.