How to Backup the Install DVDs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mckyvlle, Dec 5, 2007.

1. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Hi, I'm a new 'switcher' here. Is backing up the Installation DVDs that came with my MacBook the same as a Windows 2000/XP CD?

I noticed that the main Leopard DVD also works as the BootCamp drivers disc under Windows. Will that be an issue when backing up the DVDs?

Also, would it be possible to have the backup DVDs bootable?

Many thanks!

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I don't know. Why don't you just burn a copy of the installer using your normal disk copying software, and then try to startup from that copy and see if it works or not. Then report back here and tell us what happened.

If it can startup from the copy then it's pretty much a certainty that it's a perfect copy and would be able to run an OS X install if you ever need to rely on a backup copy of a damaged or lost OS X installer DVD.

3. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I usually make backup copies of my discs and use them instead of the originals, in case somethign should ever happen. If you use Disc utility, you can make an exact copy of the installer disc. Just choose the Top level of the the disc drive (not the actual volume), and copy it that way. If you choose the volume, it won't be bootable for some reason. But this works for sure, I did the same with my Leopard DVD. I took it out of the packaging, made the copy, and put it back, then used the copy to install on my computer.

I know, I'm crazy and paranoid, but it's saved me twice before.

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

How? :rolleyes:

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I was installing server2003 on a box at work using the actual product cd on an HP 1u (can't remember what model) but anyway... it had a slim dvd drive, the same as on a laptop, when I went to pull the disc out, it cracked in half. I wasn't being rough, I took it out how I normally would... if we'd have not had a backup disc, I'd have been screwed.

After that I switched to using the backups instead of the actual product discs.

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Wow! Got it :)

7. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

This topic was already covered in this thread. Short answer is that since the Leopard install disk is a hybrid (Mac/Win) disk, it won't copy correctly unless you take some special steps. See the other thread for details.

8. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Many many thanks! I'll go have a look :D

Should have seached harder on this topic. :eek:

9. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i just used isobuster in windows to create a .tao file of the leopard install dvd... renamed file and extension to leopardbackup.iso and burned with imgburn to dl disc... autoruns boot camp driver install in windows and works perfect in mac os x too

10. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys!

I'll try it out as soon as I get some Dual Layer DVDRs...