how to backup to windows laptop?!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ki2594, May 24, 2008.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

So i have my vaio laptop which i dont really use anymore and want to use it for storage/backup via the network. My problem is that it shows up in the finder as a computer on my network but it can't connect to it.? Can someone please tell me how i connect to it over the network so i can backup to it and such??
    Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you mean back up? You can't use it for Time Machine if that's what you're asking; you can drag and drop files...

3. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

all u have to do is create a windows shared folder and ur up if thats what your asking

4. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well not time machine but i guess draggin and droppin folders to save in case anything happens. I don't neccessaraly need time machine

5. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea how do i do tht. Im not good with sharing so how?

6. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

You simply make a folder and right click it to properties from their you should be able to find the correct tab and option.

Please note though it is not recommendable to host anything on a client Operating system like what came with that Viao especially not windows.

7. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

if its the same in vista and xp then ill do it soooo...... well basically its called my shared documents and it has a hand out on the folder u can do it in my computer or documents i suck at vista and well u get the point

8. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok i kind of get it but can you tell me step by step what to do.?

9. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

uhm ill try ill set up a pc and ill get the steps ill resopond in a few mins

10. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks mann big help. The reason is i just wanna save my music, important pics, etc. somewhere else in case sumthing happens and i dont have an external hd...just this little 5 year old ultra portable

11. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I would have to say that a five year old Vaio (with a five year old HDD in it) is only marginally better than no backup at all, given the age, likelihood of failure, and the very un-straightforward way of connecting to a share--of limited size--to save some files. While not particularly difficult, it still requires having a separate machine & OS booted, connected to the network, attaching to the share on the Mac, and then finally moving the files. Definitely not a good everyday solution for backups.

If there is ANY way you can scrape up the $$ to get an inexpensive external (the WD's are stupid cheap--as little as $139 for a 320GB drive) that will be dedicated and "just plug it in and use it" simple is by far your best bet.

While the Vaio may work for a short time, I'd suggest start saving up for a dedicated drive soonest.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wow, a little patience maybe? :rolleyes:

14. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry im in a hurry cuz im bout to go out of country...loooong story. I just needed this done lol

15. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i would say that to if i weren't using this vaio. Surprising this is realllly stable and no signs here of failure really. I know what you mean. But all i need is music, photos, and doc's moved over there

16. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i forget how but look around in my documents and u should find a shared documents thing u can make and u like call it ms home it might be in network prefs

17. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

now is this in windows or on os x?

18. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

windows, it can be in network settings (or w.e its called) or my documents cause i think u can make a shared

19. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok so i made a new folder within my docs called mac stuff and then made it shared over my network...i just don't understand how i connect to my vaio over the network. Everytime i click on my laptop in my finder under shared...it says connection failed...?

20. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

hmm
    are u running leopard right
    did u put a password?
    and the vaio is on right connected to the internet

21. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah im running leopard. And yea i put in my leopard user name and password.?
    And its connected to the same access point and is on.
    I'm going to try it again here and see if it works...check baack in a few! (thanks so far for the help though)

22. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

does the shared folder have a hand infront of the folder as one ? and did u set it up in network something im not completely sure

23. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah it has a hand and idk what you mean by setting it up on network?

24. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

well before i rember going in network prefs on windows and like setting it up that way and auto named it ms home

25. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

were is network preferences located on xp?