how to backup windows and mac partitions on one external hard drive ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by anonymous4a, Sep 14, 2013.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Hi, I have a windows 8 partition and mac os Mountain Lion partition on my macbook pro. Is it possible to backup both of these on to one external hard drive ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, just create 2 partitions on the external drive, then backup OS X to one, then backup Windows to the other.

3. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

What file system should the partitions be ? Is it possible to have the two partitions compatible with mac os, and windows? I mean, is there a way to access the backups from any operating system ?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you only want to back up some user files, you have more flexibility, but if you want to back up system files also, such as cloning a drive, for OS X the partition must be HFS+. It's better to use the same format as the drive your cloning, so HFS+ for backing up OS X, and NTFS for backing up Windows.

5. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

If you just want to access user files, you can use ExFAT on the external drive, and both operating systems can read and write to it.

6. tmagman macrumors 6502

I advise against exFAT for backups since it can be a little more unstable of a file system because it only has one allocation table, so any error to that can corrupt the entire drive. Split the drive into two partitions and use their respective OS's native file systems for each side (NTFS and HFS+)

7. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

HFS+ is Mac os Extended.. but than which one? There's 4 types of mac os extended ( Journaled, Journaled Encrypted, Case - Sensitive Journaled, Case - sensitive Journaled Encrypted )

are any of the mac formats readable in windows ?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)
    Choose the appropriate format:
    HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive) NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion and later)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.
    exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.
    FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X. [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

9. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, I don't see an option for NTFS from the Format drop down list. just MS-DOS ( FAT ) , ExFat, free space, Mac OS extended- journaled, Mac OS extended, journaled case sensitive. How would I choose NTFS for the other partition ? And in the partition tab, what scheme should I choose ?

10. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

You cannot. Disk Utility does not create NTFS partitions.

Use Mac OS extended journaled, not case-sensitive.

11. anonymous4a, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

edit

----------

ok, so I guess I can format the windows partition to NTFS in windows 8 os ? or use one of the applications suggested ?

How about the partition scheme in the partitions tab for disk utility, what should I choose ? there's GUID partition table, apple partition map, master boot record .

Also, my partition mac os extended journaled just says HFS , not HFS+, is there a difference ?

12. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Either one of the OSs will read their Partition Scheme, except Apple Partition Map which Windows will probably struggle with. GUID or MBR should be fine.

You will need to leave the space free on the drive that you are going to format NTFS, and format that from a Windows installation.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to install something like Paragon (see my last post). Then you will have NTFS as an option in Disk Utility.

14. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a