How to backup your Cydia apps and data when upgrading

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Justinb51, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

I have tried aptbackup in the past with bad results so I did some research and found this alternative. The below instructions are from "kioskea, Sebastien, Orine and iPhoner."

This method will save all your packages in a text file, that we’ll move to your computer. After updating and jailbreaking, we will import this text file into your iPhone.
    Backing Up Your Packages
    You need to have sbsettings on your phone as well.

Step 1: Launch MobileTerminal on your iPhone.

Step 2: Type the following command: dpkg –-get-selections > installed-apps.txt

Step 3: The previous command line will save a text file in /var/mobile called “installed-apps.txt”. Save this file on your computer via SSH.
    Reinstalling Your Packages

After updating your iPhone to a newer iOS, you will have to jailbreak again and install MobileTerminal, Sbsettings, aptbackup (for the command tools), openSSH in Cydia. Then follow these instructions.

Step 1: SSH into your iPhone and copy the “installed-apps.txt” file in /var/mobile.

Step 2: Type the following commands in MobileTerminal

* su
    * alpine (which is the default password. Type your password if you changed it)
    * dpkg – -set-selections < installed-apps.txt
    * apt-get dselect-upgrade

If you encounter any issue, type the following command: apt-get dselect-fix-missing-upgrade

Cydia will automatically reinstall all your packages.
    (Usually the installed-apps.txt will install a lot of stuff that may be buggy on your new iOS, if run into trouble you may edit that txt file and replace the 'install' command bellow each suspicious package with 'deinstall'.)

Now in mobile terminal it will ask you to choose yes to complete the operation. MobileTerminal will now download and install all of your stuff. When it is done, I rebooted the phone and all my stuff was back on my phone just like it was before I restored! It worked AWESOME!! All of my settings and app data was retained and applied after the reboot.(it did take me a couple of times to get the commands right, just FYI)

Note, you should change your default password "alpine" to something else.

2. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

how to change the password

I figured I might as well put the instructions on how to change the password as well...

Open MobileTerminal and type the following:

1. login <return>
    2. root <return>
    3. alpine <return>
    4. passwd <return>
    5. Type your new password
    6. Retype your password

You are done

3. Mystikal, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

What about PkgBackup? Worked perfectly for me upgrading to 4.2.1. (paid app in Cydia)

4. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

I never tried PkgBackup so i cannot comment on that one... i did try aptbackup when i went from 4.0.1 to 4.1, and it messed up my phone i had to restore and start over. I pretty much decided that I wasnt going to try those products again, i have read threads on here with people complaining about both, pkg and apt. So that is why i did the research and tried this... plus its free and works like a charm.

5. onefish2 macrumors member

onefish2

Pkgbackup restored EVERYTHING to the way it was. Even the springboard layout. And now it backs up to Dropbox which makes it even easier to use.
    Its a no brainer to buy this.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Absolutely use PkgBackup! I'm sure the OP's method works fine, but it's overcomplicated compared to PkgBackup. I guess if you are strapped for cash and don't have $8 then go with the OP's method.

7. screamace macrumors member

+1 for Pkgbackup. Perfectly restored all my Cydia apps, repos as well as settings! And it can backup your camera roll! So I can do a clean restore without losing all the photos.

8. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

Pkgbackup basiclly does exacty what the OP is doing, except it copies it into a "contact" instead of a txt file, and it's backed up when you backup or sync with itunes.....

9. TJone macrumors 6502a

Pkgbackup worked amazingly well when I upgraded. It restored all my repos and JB apps and I was happily surprised that it also sorted my folders the way they were before. It is a great app.

10. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

Good to hear that pkgbackup is working. I just thought that I would share what I learned.

11. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Just make sure you do a bit of reading up on whether all your backed up JB apps are compatible with the firmware you're trying to upgrade to/restore them to - or you'll find yrself going in to safe mode

e.g. iControl isn't compatible w/ 4.2.1 and it took me some time before I managed to isolate the culprit.

12. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

Yeah so far the only thing on my phone that I have found that don't work are a few of my winterboard themes.

13. cyclone84 macrumors regular

Nice tutorial, OP. Glad I didn't spend $8 on something that could be done for free.

14. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I am still on 4.2.1 and when I try to open MobileTerminal is always crashes and closes. Anyone else having this issue? I have already tried to uninstall and install again with no success.

15. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

you may require the latest mobileterminal from the xsellize repo not from the stock cydia repo! the iOS3 version didn't work after the iOS4 upgrade...!

if it isn't that - then i am stumped too!!

16. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

+1 ^^^

+1 PkgBackup