How to become an iBooks author?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Komiksulo, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

It was a bit of a struggle deciding where to put this thread. Logically, it ought to go in Special Intyerests, except that there doesn't seem to be a place for authors there. So I'm putting it here, for reasons described below. Mods, feel free to move.

Anyways... I plan to resurrect one of my old stories and do it up with new artwork. I'd like to publish it on the iBookstore. Is it possible for an indovidual Canadian author to do this, as we can when publishing apps?

I have found no details on this on Apple's Canadian site, and only general mention in news stories. One story mentioned that I'd need a publishing company and an ISBN, which I have or can get.

Another story mentioned that it might be easier to publish the story as an app, which might make it easier to submit it (I'm already a registered Apple developer). That's why I placed this thread here.

This same story also mentioned that for some formats like manga and graphic novels, where layout is important, apps might be better than the iBookstore's EPUB format, which allows reflowing of text. On the other hand, the iBooks reader lets you read PDFs, which were designed for fixed layout.

Anyone know more?

2. aaronchow macrumors regular

I got an email replay from them when I asked the same question

Hello Aaron,*

You can now sign up to sell your books in the iBookstore directly. Go here to get started:

http://itunes.com/sellyourbooks

Your books should:

Have an ISBN
    Be in EPUB format and
    ** * * Validate epubcheck 1.0.5
    ** * * Contain no unmanifested files

If your books aren't yet in EPUB format or you would like help with selling your titles in the iBookstore, we recommend that you work with one of our aggregation partners; that list is also available at the link above.

Additional Requirements:

A US Tax ID
    A valid iTunes Store account, with a credit card on file
    An Intel-based Mac running OS X 10.5 or later

A final note: once signed, our online agreement allows you to sell in the iBookstore in several countries. However, you are not obligated to sell your books in every country. You'll have the ability to set country availability and price for each of your titles.

Best regards,

The iBookstore Team