How to best back up pictures from iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gloor, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have this setup:

I main HDD and one time machine HDD that basically clones almost everything. On top of that I have Airport extreme with a usb hdd connected to it. I would like to know how to best back up my iPhoto pics? I thought about time machine but that would require me selecting and deselecting things and therefore would be a pain and would mess up my regular internal backup hdd.
    I also noticed, that iPhoto doesn't store the pics in a simple folder. You need to select "show folder content" which shows many folders ( I believe one regular and one with changes) but its a pain to always go through this.

So, is there a way to create profiles for separete hdd in time machine or is there a simple efficient way for a back up?

Thanks

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Just copy your iPhoto library to you external like this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229 (obviously don't delete it off your internal after you have copied). Down the road, you could use something like iPhoto Library Manager to merge the library on you internal to you library on the external so that the two would match.

Or you could select photos from within the iPhoto app, then click on the Burn button and burn them section by section to DVD's. This keeps them in iPhoto format so that if you needed to reinstall them, they would be ready.

Whatever you do, stay out of the library in finder! You are playing with fire if you mess about in there! iPhoto uses that file to be able to work correctly, and if you do anything there, you risk corruption, loss of photos, etc.

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, I didn't know that you can copy it like that. I always thought that I have to first view the content. :))
    Very nice tip, thanks